Toronto Enigma on the Park | 27.74m | 9s | Aragon Properties | BDP Quadrangle

They won't be thinking about building typologies.

Residents of the actual buildings we’re creating do and will and should.

Same old units in each project, most with very few windows and a deep plan, poor sun access, inability to cross ventilate (or properly circulate air), etc. etc.

But your point is taken.

Right, whatever. I'm talking about how the building looks from the outside, how it fits in the neighbourhood, the vibe it gives off. I understand, you think it's drab, same old same old bones underneath all that flash. Check.

Internal function of our modern apartment buildings is a huge problem I think a lot of people aren't thinking about, and it's mostly forced by planners wanting the tower and podium typology which tends to create crappy, deep units. When you combo that with the tiny little linear kitchens that every apartment has nowadays and living rooms that are barely large enough to fit a love seat in, these units really aren't all that great. I understand costs of units forcing unit sizes down, but units should be livable when you have a 750sf 2 bed that is the "prototypical" condo unit these days. It's too bad that they so often aren't.

Revisiting now that it's all fully complete and the fencing/scaffolding have been taken down. It looks great, reminds me a lot of what you'd find in a place like Copenhagen, Amsterdam or Hamburg:

20191026_094347.jpg
20191026_094417.jpg
20191026_094426.jpg
20191026_094449.jpg

20191026_094457.jpg

20191026_094614.jpg
20191026_094618.jpg

Vacant ground units at the back, although I don't think retail can be sustainable here with it being a dead end. Maybe more suitable for fitness, craft, work shop spaces someday (?).

20191026_094641.jpg

20191026_094812.jpg

Last edited:
I remember seeing the people in your photo when my partner and I were out for an evening stroll – we must have walked right past you! This is such a small town sometimes.
Were you the two who crossed through the bridge (or whatever it's called) and then came out the main doors around the time we were up by them? If so, hey ho! (Time to get UT to spring for some branded baseball caps to act as introductions!)

Were you the two who crossed through the bridge (or whatever it's called) and then came out the main doors around the time we were up by them? If so, hey ho! (Time to get UT to spring for some branded baseball caps to act as introductions!)

That's a good idea!

No, we passed when you were I think investigating the planters and trees in front of Clint Roenisch's gallery, a little north of Enigma.

Back