Toronto Emerald Park Condos | 128.92m | 40s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

But what exactly is so "wonderful" about this project ? The food court without a real public toilet ? The dead trees lining Poyntz ? The dirty walls of the subway entrance (delayed x number of times for over 2 years which became a headline in Toronto Star) ? The broken entrance doors that take months to repair ? The faulty sidewalks that require regular repairs ? The unoccupied retail space on the second floor (how long has it been now ?) ?

It's obviously not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's a nice-looking building with good apartments a lot of interesting stuff in the mall. You can go to any development in the city and make a long list of complaints just like this one, but you'd have to be a pretty negative person to do that.

Let's just look at the other three corners of Yonge and Sheppard:

- Northwest corner: One-floor commercial building with one vacant unit and a big empty glass box staring at the intersection. Abandoned McDonalds franchise that hasn't been redeveloped for no apparent reason.
- Northeast corner: Shopping mall finishing constuction mid-next year, with the vast majority of retail units still unoccupied and no new tenants other than the staples of Scarborough's obscure neighbourhood malls -- GNC, cell phone companies, lottery booth, a chocolate shop and random juice and pretzel stands. Food court that's closed on weekends and deserted except two hours of the weekdays. All of the Sheppard-facing retail is empty, one of the units facing Yonge is also empty.
- Southeast corner: Chipotle bailed, street-level retail was empty for a while then some pseudo-science skin clinic came in. I've still never seen a single person walk into there. Rexall pharmacy that's also pretty dead - the only reason to go there is if you're too lazy to walk to the bigger & cheaper Shoppers in the mall. Office condos are maybe one third occupied after more than three years.

See how easy that was?

Amnesiajune, let's be objective here. You are comparing apples and oranges. A residential condo complex with space for large format retail compared to a single floor commercial unit, a shopping mall, an office complex and a couple of small retail units.

I too like the building exterior, even the color of the cladding. It really stands out among the sea of grey that dominates the city skyline. I also like the diversity of tenants in the mall. From what I keep hearing, the residential units are decent if average.

Most of the negativity in this thread revolves around the public space. I have not heard of any condo developer in the GTA that matches the degree of problems involved. Perhaps you can provide an example.

Amnesiajune, let's be objective here. You are comparing apples and oranges. A residential condo complex with space for large format retail compared to a single floor commercial unit, a shopping mall, an office complex and a couple of small retail units.

I too like the building exterior, even the color of the cladding. It really stands out among the sea of grey that dominates the city skyline. I also like the diversity of tenants in the mall. From what I keep hearing, the residential units are decent if average.

Most of the negativity in this thread revolves around the public space. I have not heard of any condo developer in the GTA that matches the degree of problems involved. Perhaps you can provide an example.

Is that a problem with Bazis or TMG? Or the architect?

The developer is inexperienced with a project like this for sure, but it ultimately lies with the builder and architect and Engineers to ensure the building is built up to code.

I also believe this is TMG’s first experience in a project similar to this, maybe it was learnings for everybody.

TMG Builders inexperienced?! Cough!

Ultimately it is up to the developer to make sure that everything comes together. All of the other companies have to do their part, but the developer makes the final decisions. You're paying them, and they're paying the contractors; the ball is in their court.

Yes, can you let me know which project TMG (I'm talking about the company, not the owner) worked on prior to Emerald park that had this level of retail/office/residential integration and a direct access to the subway station?

The developer, being the owner, is ultimately accountable. However if I build a house and the building inspector finds a problem, it is the builder who's on tab to fix the issue.

Unless you truly believe Bazis asked its builder to throw out the building permit approved plans and build a subway connection that violates fire code.

Last edited:
If that's your criteria for being experienced, I'm betting there aren't many builders who meet it

If that's your criteria for being experienced, I'm betting there aren't many builders who meet it

That I agree. I suspect as these type of highly integrated projects becomes more abundant, we would see better results with each iteration.

I had no intention on attacking TMG, just pointing out the fact that the builder and designers as well as the developer all had learnings to do.

e condos hopefully will see less issues. It’s the same team.

Yes, can you let me know which project TMG (I'm talking about the company, not the owner) worked on prior to Emerald park that had this level of retail/office/residential integration and a direct access to the subway station?

The developer, being the owner, is ultimately accountable. However if I build a house and the building inspector finds a problem, it is the builder who's on tab to fix the issue.

Unless you truly believe Bazis asked its builder to throw out the building permit approved plans and build a subway connection that violates fire code.

Prior to EmeraldPark, CrystalBlu was the only project Bazis completed, then Bazis lost about $20-30million on their original 1 Bloor East proposal without even getting a shovel in the ground. Desperate for financing, Bazis had to take on partners (who'll take a cut of any profit)! Bazis desperate to recover their lost,... so cut cost and corners via quality and labour cost,... and screw over anyone they could.

EmeraldPark developer is technically "EmeraldPark 2010 inc." made up of Bazis, Metropia (some project management), PlazaCorp (silent),.. lead by Bazis. Its the developer that signed agreements with City, so City goes after developer when agreement aren't met.

Bazis' builder is TMG Builders and there are several contractors/suppliers,... you'll generally see them at all Bazis development. Here's most of the contractors & suppliers that worked at EmeraldPark:
EmeraldPark_BazisContractors.JPG

Bazis generally hire lowest cost contractor/supplier,... who in turn, has largest financial incentive to cut corner and once there's too much warrantee-repair/redo type of work, they'll just dissolve/declare-bankruptcy,... and reappear under a different company name! Thus, their X-many year warrantee isn't worth the paper its written on,.... ever wonder why they use rental equipment? to minimize their real assets in lawsuits!

Sometime cutting quality was contractor fault like less durable sidewalk with too much sand filler in concrete mix. Sometime Bazis fault, like rendering showing multiple shades of high quality green glass,... but Bazis using cheaper glass wrapped with Dollarama green plastic wrapping,... City Planning staff actually found this hilarious!

While TMG Builder is highly experienced, they likely sent their B-team over since they looked more like younger general labourers VS the season professional we saw working at Tridel HullmarkCentre site across Yonge Street under construction at same time. (This is what we're seeing at RioCan YongeSheppardCentre now,... the younger general labour type doing the demo work for Mitchell Demolition but the more seasoned professional type doing the real construction work.)

TMG Builder's strength is their specialization in FlyingTableForming method which allow them to systematically form floors with consistent ceiling height much faster for lower construction time. The problem is due to Bazis' redesign on the fly (after 8th floor of WestTower),... Bazis cut an average of 8" ceiling height (inconsistently,... some more, some less since higher floors had to support the curving top) in order to squeeze in more floor into WestTower,.... the more these ceiling height varies, the tougher for TMG Builder to use FlyingTableForming efficiently.

Bazis had scheduled EmeraldPark, Exhibit, e-condo and 1 Yorkville,... 2 years apart from each other,... Bazis generally buy TMG-Builder & contractor labour in blocks and planned to move them from 1 project to next every 2 years,... problem is Bazis was constantly redesigning during construction phase of EmeraldPark (loading docks, food court washrooms, freight elevators, west tower ceiling height, redesign TTC entrance without informing TTC - thus, it's now out of TTC specs!, etc,...) since they never did retail mall, office, TTC entrance, etc,.. before! This added about 50% more construction time to EmeraldPark (Bazis too cheap to pay overtime to stay on schedule),... which delayed all other Bazis projects!

And once that block of labour type (carpenter, plumber, electricians, etc,..) is assigned to next project, good luck getting any of them back to fix any issues,... that was the main issue causing EmeraldPark TTC subway entrance to be 2 years late,... Bazis wouldn't send any of their contractors back to work on the entrance,... you had to wait until those worker type (electrician, flooring, painters, etc,...) were finished at there next assignment and had nothing to do!!!

Attachments

• EmeraldPark_BazisContractors.JPG
    EmeraldPark_BazisContractors.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 1,043
Prior to EmeraldPark, CrystalBlu was the only project Bazis completed, then Bazis lost about $20-30million on their original 1 Bloor East proposal without even getting a shovel in the ground. Desperate for financing, Bazis had to take on partners (who'll take a cut of any profit)! Bazis desperate to recover their lost,... so cut cost and corners via quality and labour cost,... and screw over anyone they could.

EmeraldPark developer is technically "EmeraldPark 2010 inc." made up of Bazis, Metropia (some project management), PlazaCorp (silent),.. lead by Bazis. Its the developer that signed agreements with City, so City goes after developer when agreement aren't met.

Bazis' builder is TMG Builders and there are several contractors/suppliers,... you'll generally see them at all Bazis development. Here's most of the contractors & suppliers that worked at EmeraldPark:
View attachment 127008

Bazis generally hire lowest cost contractor/supplier,... who in turn, has largest financial incentive to cut corner and once there's too much warrantee-repair/redo type of work, they'll just dissolve/declare-bankruptcy,... and reappear under a different company name! Thus, their X-many year warrantee isn't worth the paper its written on,.... ever wonder why they use rental equipment? to minimize their real assets in lawsuits!

Sometime cutting quality was contractor fault like less durable sidewalk with too much sand filler in concrete mix. Sometime Bazis fault, like rendering showing multiple shades of high quality green glass,... but Bazis using cheaper glass wrapped with Dollarama green plastic wrapping,... City Planning staff actually found this hilarious!

While TMG Builder is highly experienced, they likely sent their B-team over since they looked more like younger general labourers VS the season professional we saw working at Tridel HullmarkCentre site across Yonge Street under construction at same time. (This is what we're seeing at RioCan YongeSheppardCentre now,... the younger general labour type doing the demo work for Mitchell Demolition but the more seasoned professional type doing the real construction work.)

TMG Builder's strength is their specialization in FlyingTableForming method which allow them to systematically form floors with consistent ceiling height much faster for lower construction time. The problem is due to Bazis' redesign on the fly (after 8th floor of WestTower),... Bazis cut an average of 8" ceiling height (inconsistently,... some more, some less since higher floors had to support the curving top) in order to squeeze in more floor into WestTower,.... the more these ceiling height varies, the tougher for TMG Builder to use FlyingTableForming efficiently.

Bazis had scheduled EmeraldPark, Exhibit, e-condo and 1 Yorkville,... 2 years apart from each other,... Bazis generally buy TMG-Builder & contractor labour in blocks and planned to move them from 1 project to next every 2 years,... problem is Bazis was constantly redesigning during construction phase of EmeraldPark (loading docks, food court washrooms, freight elevators, west tower ceiling height, redesign TTC entrance without informing TTC - thus, it's now out of TTC specs!, etc,...) since they never did retail mall, office, TTC entrance, etc,.. before! This added about 50% more construction time to EmeraldPark (Bazis too cheap to pay overtime to stay on schedule),... which delayed all other Bazis projects!

And once that block of labour type (carpenter, plumber, electricians, etc,..) is assigned to next project, good luck getting any of them back to fix any issues,... that was the main issue causing EmeraldPark TTC subway entrance to be 2 years late,... Bazis wouldn't send any of their contractors back to work on the entrance,... you had to wait until those worker type (electrician, flooring, painters, etc,...) were finished at there next assignment and had nothing to do!!!

So boring, its not normal to have the Bazis name mentioned 20 times in one post:rolleyes:

I agree, specially that everything he post is incorrect as he has no knowledge what so ever.

Look, I dislike his style of discussion with posters who disagree with him, but you're clearly baiting him with this statement. He is usually quite accurate.

Turning back to the building, in the retail of EP I've now tried both Caribbean jerk places. I prefer Allwyn's. Eupin's is also quite good. There's a Wuhan noodle place that I like but I can't remember the name. Shoutout to Pearl Cleaner's as well - they used to be in Sheppard Centre but moved here, and I've been a customer for several years.

View attachment 127008

LOL. Where do you get this stuff????

I agree, specially that everything he post is incorrect as he has no knowledge what so ever.

Come again ? Whether you like sunnyray's style of discussion or not is one matter. I personally do not know anyone who does as much research and fact-checking, certainly not in this thread. Blanket statements like this are useless for everyone here and make you look like a troll.

I am a big fan of and regular customer at Yukihana Sushi, Fancy Cleaners, Guardian and Allwyn's. Also had some positive dealings with Mobile Mender. Tbh, I am surprised how well the mall turned out, despite the issues along the way. I hope the residents of EP and the surrounding community will continue to support these businesses. Still hoping for some grocery store upstairs in my lifetime... After years of hope followed by denial, I have finally come to accept that the LCBO will never show up :)

Last edited:
I wonder how long that giant grocery space is just going to sit empty.

I've always suspected that it's a parking lot issue. I think one of the biggest failures of Bazis is the fact that they built their public garage to the min specifics, which doesn't leave a lot of room to maneuver. I can't imagine how that parking lot will look like with shopping carts, people, and minivans all trying to get through.

Back