Project Essentials / dataBase – detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread  I  Real Estate Thread
Ellie Condos 
5220 Yonge Street, Toronto
Developer: G Group Development

Ellie Condos | 106m | 31s | G Group | Kirkor Architects

Discussion in 'Buildings' started by luxome, Jul 16, 2009.

1. luxome

luxome Active Member

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/design_review/drp_agenda_dec08.pdf

From a Korean website (Translation using web translator so some words or sentences may not make sense)
    http://www.soncanada.com/zBoard/zbo...&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=100

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009

2. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

Some words or sentences may not make sense? You're greatly expanding the definition of the word some.

3. Archivist

Archivist Senior Member

Given all the "abusive languages" in there, I can only assume that this is the first expletive-laden condo announcement in Toronto's history. Seems rather un-Korean of them. What's their problem?

FrozenFury likes this.
  4. luxome

luxome Active Member

LOL! i guess i meant to say, only some words make sense. haha.

has anyone heard of the builder/group? have they built anything in GTA?

and what's up with Young + Wright, their website is down (http://www.ywarch.ca/) and no one answers the phone, not even voicemail.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. Hypnotoad

Hypnotoad Senior Member

Probably easier to read this in Korean than in the translated format.

6. Redroom Studios

Redroom Studios Senior Member

oh man... this is just way too funny to try and make sense of! I am laughing my ass off... reminds me of engrish.com

but apparently somebody is going to build something!

7. scarberiankhatru

scarberiankhatru Senior Member

Centrium got mildly thrashed by the design review in April: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/pdf/design_review/designreview_minutes_apr09.pdf

If memory serves me correctly, this project includes the ex-Speedy Muffler site and everything north to Ellerslie. I guess the Korean article also says this, but it's in Engrish, not English.

I must admit the site is a bit strange for a hotel...I don't know if North York needs another hotel but if it does, something at the 401 or Sheppard would be a much better spot. There's definitely a lot of retail gaps along Yonge north of Empress, and some existing retail in buildings that contribute nothing to the street and should be replaced, but given some of the glass & precast stuff recently built along Yonge, filling in the retail streetscape here with more of the same blah sterile condo retail may only result in a marginal improvement.

And it's a Kirkor project! Isn't everyone excited now?

8. Solaris

Solaris Senior Member

Young + Wright got bought out by IBI Group last year, and now operating under the name 'Young + Wright / IBI Group Architects' ... Young + Wright now operates in the Toronto office according to IBI's website:

http://www.ibigroup.com/contact_canada.html

9. scarberiankhatru

As of April, this was a Kirkor project, not Young & Wright...I wasn't kidding what I asked if everyone was excited about this being a Kirkor project!

10. luxome

luxome Active Member

what do you mean by Kikor project? is it good or bad? (sorry, i'm not really familiar with architects)

11. scarberiankhatru

Kirkor Architects = well, not always so great. If one can say that other firms in the city are dreaming in fine watercolours or charcoal, Kirkor tends to dream in those Mr. Sketch smelly markers, or possibly potato stamps. Fine for a site by a highway, maybe not so fine for a site on Yonge (though they got lucky with Hullmark, which should be OK).

12. interchange42

interchange42 Administrator Staff Member

Water-Park-Harbour-Marina-City-Club, whateverthehellitscalled down at York and Queens Quay, is another Kirkor project that's not so bad, but frankly the 'potato stamp' joke is funnier than anything Kirkor have ever designed is beautiful.

13. Solaris

Solaris Senior Member

I-42....I suppose you are referring to Waterclub and Riviera Condos (east + west of Lower Simcoe respectively) ?? I certainly agree that those two are quite handsome buildings ... even if its designed by Kirkor ~

14. luxome

luxome Active Member

thanks for the link. i do think that there are more pros than cons in having this project become a reality.

I think it is located south, not north, of Ellerslie.

LOL. i apologize about the web translation, i did my best in finding as much details as i can.

15. scarberiankhatru

Kirkor seems fairly incapable of designing 'beautiful.' I won't say anything bad about NY Towers (love the roofs!) but they are not beautiful. Same with One Park Tower (love those gargoyles!).

'Successes' like Hullmark are mostly successful because of massing and site plans and other planning factors, not so much for aesthetic factors. Maybe it's the Tridel marketing washing away the dubious taste of Kirkor. The Hullmark towers themselves don't need bags over their heads (is that a compliment?). Centrium, though, gets a tentative FAIL potato stamp more so for the planning elements like the massing, site plan, road access, etc., than for the actual appearance. The podium in that rendering is a godawful mess, though.

You quoted me saying it is located south of Ellerslie.