Toronto Eight Cumberland | 170m | 51s | Great Gulf | a—A

It represents the hope for a good looking building (which doesn't necessarily mean good architecture per say...I still love the original Trump Tower on Fifth, but I wouldn't call that good architecture).

Confidence is low of course. It is P+S. It is just another market-driven Toronto condo. And dull local architects specializing in generic, market-driven, modestly priced condos don't magically spit out fabulous architecture....that's what really talented architects do...with like-minded clients with large budgets, targeted to more upscale buyers than the average Toronto buyers.

But once in a while I'm pleasantly surprised. Something is making me think this long shot might have something. I'm probably going to be disappointed.

Your love affair with you know who is limitless. Every building that is actually completed conforms to market conditions. The number of units proposed for M+G doesn't present as "luxury" either. At least someone on the team recognizing the market demands as affordable as possible.

Last edited:
Your love affair with you know who is limitless. The number of units proposed for M+G doesn't present as "luxury" either. At least someone on the team recognizing the market demands as affordable as possible.

I have not made nor implied any reference to "you know who" (Mirvish or Gehry? ), so only you know what that little sidebar is in regards to.

Every building that is actually completed conforms to market conditions.

Obviously you aren't understanding what I mean by the term "market-driven". When confused, it's perfectly ok to just ask you know.

And RoCP is supposed to be "informed" by Art Deco, clearly, it didn't quite work out that way either. That said, look at the bright side, at least it is a P+S, not G+C.

AoD

Hey don't sell ROCP short, there are also Gothic flying buttresses.

I have not made nor implied any reference to "you know who" (Mirvish or Gehry? ), so only you know what that little sidebar is in regards to.

Obviously you aren't understanding what I mean by the term "market-driven". When confused, it's perfectly ok to just ask you know.

We've reach the point that anything you type can be inferred to Mirvish/Gehry.

Actually, you are the one that is confused. May want to read my post again. Everything privately financed that is built is market driven essentially conforming to simply supply and demand. You think the developer of 432 Park is developing the property out of the goodness of their heart? To continue, you think more money spent leads to better design? There are design conscience people at any level and so too is the reverse. Any developer will cater to both subsets providing they can sell enough units. No reason to insult Toronto either. Once you get out there you'll see things aren't nearly as dire as you believe.

Last edited:
saw may comments about the chopping down of the height of this tower. will it really get chopped down by the city?

saw may comments about the chopping down of the height of this tower. will it really get chopped down by the city?

I don't see why it would. It's only ~13 metres taller than One Yorkville (which was approved) and closer to the Yonge-Bloor peak.

And if they are going to preserve the Yonge facades, I think one should go easy on them on their density ask and save the energy on taking their design to task instead.

AoD

Last edited:
\"Is there a map somewhere of the future laneway network we can expect upon full buildout of east Yorkville?\"

From the city report

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at Tuesday Feb 17, 2015 12.00.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-17 at Tuesday Feb 17, 2015 12.00.28 PM.png
    292 KB · Views: 1,803
Also my favorite $5 lunch places Extreme Taste and Eat-a-Pita... Will be sad to lose those great little businesses for yet another featureless, street-killing glass monolith.

Now cue the condo fanboys who'll tell me how stupid I am and how I should keep my goddamned opinions to myself.

Am I actually seeing these comments or is this a bad dream?

Attention to detail? 8.5/10? People getting excited about the tiny setbacks at the top and the fact that the spandrel appears to be extruded a bit from the tower?

Standards, people!...

No, you've just bought into the delusion that people who don't mirror your personal design preferences lack standards. A bad dream would be a city that conformed to the same rigid architectural style from one end to the other. Toronto's trump card is its diversity, in all its forms. A lot might not be my cup of tea but I acknowledge that the collision of culture, styles, and ideas is what makes the city endlessly fascinating.

Last edited:
Someone on another message board pointed out that this slightly resembles a condo in Brookyln...

image-home.jpg

Toren-facade.jpg

I have my suspicions that this will turn out anything like it.

Attachments

• image-home.jpg
    image-home.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Toren-facade.jpg
    Toren-facade.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 1,200

Back