Toronto Eight Cumberland | 170m | 51s | Great Gulf | a—A

Interesting how the Four Seasons in the background of that rendering has been altered to have a stepped crown, especially considering it was another aA design.
The entire cityscape has been cobbled together. Nothing's quite right about it. They just didn't have the shot they wanted I suppose.

No 1 Yorkville wither.

It's like Karma + F!VE + Casa II got together. It appears this is version 3.0, although I would have liked to see more renderings of the version 2.0 iteration other than that single shot.
Needless to say, what tends to be perceived to be 'good' on these forums, seems to always come down to what type of materials, aka cladding, aka spandrel or not spandrel, are used in the final product, regardless of necessarily bold or daring design, or what renders seem to depict. I think we've arrived at the point where many of us end up being okay with pretty a box - so long as it's clad in curtain wall. Renders will always be renders.

This building could have been more eyes catching for me.
Create a little variety in color or curvy balconies could have improved this tower.
But, fortunately,It doesn't have big ugly balconies .
So i accept it.
:cool:

It's like Karma + F!VE + Casa II got together. It appears this is version 3.0, although I would have liked to see more renderings of the version 2.0 iteration other than that single shot.
Needless to say, what tends to be perceived to be 'good' on these forums, seems to always come down to what type of materials, aka cladding, aka spandrel or not spandrel, are used in the final product, regardless of necessarily bold or daring design, or what renders seem to depict. I think we've arrived at the point where many of us end up being okay with pretty a box - so long as it's clad in curtain wall. Renders will always be renders.

Materials have a bigger role to play in a simple design than something more convoluted. Despite the limitations of the materials used in Toronto, it's simply a matter of having local firms that are very good at producing high quality "boxes" in bunches. The perception of a more complicated design with, of course, a curvy element as automatically architecturally better probably hinges on a desire just to see something different and a pent up desire to be accepted by the world.

^ IMO, we have seen too many great designs hurt by cladding and poor execution. Names like L tower and Aura are ones that come to mind, designs that you think would sit high atop of a city's list of great new buildings. Instead, buildings like Theatre Park seem to achieve more praise (not a bash on Theatre Park, it's a phenomenal project, but you would expect an L tower to steal the cake over it, at least on the drawing board or based off of renders). As of late, it seems like playfully designed balconies (like with One Bloor or on U Condos) are achieving better success than more abstract building forms, which I assume are more costly to design and construct. And while no single building is perfect or universally praised, I'm still waiting for an Aura done justice (Mirvish + Gehry please come through! ;) )

^ IMO, we have seen too many great designs hurt by cladding and poor execution. Names like L tower and Aura are ones that come to mind, designs that you think would sit high atop of a city's list of great new buildings. Instead, buildings like Theatre Park seem to achieve more praise (not a bash on Theatre Park, it's a phenomenal project, but you would expect an L tower to steal the cake over it, at least on the drawing board or based off of renders). As of late, it seems like playfully designed balconies (like with One Bloor or on U Condos) are achieving better success than more abstract building forms, which I assume are more costly to design and construct. And while no single building is perfect or universally praised, I'm still waiting for an Aura done justice (Mirvish + Gehry please come through! ;) )

I follow and understand your opinion.
But for me L tower and Aura are cool and well designed.
They better designed than ordinary boxy building like Casa, King Charlotte,8 Cumberland and many other similar. I want to see more creativity.
Mirvish and 1-7 yonge are the best proposals for the city.
They need to get built.
:)

Cladding only elevates a design so far. Cheap cladding hurts the better executed boxes or star architecture in L. SSG curtain wall on the lower half of Aura would improve the aesthetics of the glass facade. It wouldn't effect its obese form, poorly placed setbacks/stepbacks and, bland podium. What separates Aura from dozens of other boring, awkward designs is simply its scale.

This desire to place more abstract forms on a pedestal goes back to my original posts of Toronto producing so many of these boxes and the trend to lump together the good with the bad. There always a need for something new and different (good overall) when opinion and personal taste takes precedence over understanding. (not always good)

Last edited:
A few new images. Seeing these gives me a lot more confidence about this. I wonder why Great Gulf wouldn't have released the first one (spruced up, of course) as a marketing render as it accentuates the verticality of the fins on the west facade and makes the project look that much more svelte. Podium detailing looks much better too.

aA 3.JPG

aA 1.JPG

aA 2.JPG

aA 4.JPG

Attachments

• aA 3.JPG
    aA 3.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,495
  • aA 1.JPG
    aA 1.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 1,465
  • aA 2.JPG
    aA 2.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • aA 4.JPG
    aA 4.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 1,498
In these renders, which I realize are often .....imaginative

i perceive a significant reduction in the width of Cumberland. Anyone else getting that?

Also a fairly large public space on the south side, that I'm not sure could be inferred even w/some of the road allowance shifted.

Is there substance to this, or merely creative/wishful thinking?

A few new images. Seeing these gives me a lot more confidence about this. I wonder why Great Gulf wouldn't have released the first one (spruced up, of course) as a marketing render as it accentuates the verticality of the fins on the west facade and makes the project look that much more svelte. Podium detailing looks much better too.

View attachment 88833

View attachment 88834

View attachment 88835

View attachment 88836

omg, billion percent improvement in podium.

View attachment 88833

View attachment 88834

View attachment 88835

View attachment 88836
Look at the nearby buildings. I think it's merely a massing model, but I agree with you too, that they could have modified it to use as a marketing render.

I have a height for this building now. 169.96 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse roof as per the architectural plans, but the fins extend above that to about 171.3 metres. That translates to 561.864', and rounds to 562', which is what's going into the dataBase file. That will show up as 171 metres in the thread title.

@DonValleyRainbow

I have a height for this building now. 169.96 metres to the top of the mechanical penthouse roof as per the architectural plans, but the fins extend above that to about 171.3 metres. That translates to 561.864', and rounds to 562', which is what's going into the dataBase file. That will show up as 171 metres in the thread title.

@DonValleyRainbow

Updated. Not far off from the original 170m I had posted it at.

Back