Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

P1090293.JPG

P1090284.JPG

I do wonder though what kind of height precedents Eau du Soleil is setting here.

I would be okay with Eau du Soleil remaining as the tallest towers in the area. I would rather see the Kraft Bakery redevelopment opt for greater density across the entire site over concentrated density at tall building heights.

I tend towards thinking, hey, why not do both? If it's going to be sitting right on top of transit maybe there's the capacity to intensify the site in both ways.

Also I feel like the opportunity to go strikingly tall and create an iconic tower in such a dramatic position on the lake is too great to pass up.

it's going to be sitting on a GO station with 30 minute frequencies - it's not going to be a transit haven. Super densities of 200+m towers likely won't be appropriate.

it's going to be sitting on a GO station with 30 minute frequencies - it's not going to be a transit haven. Super densities of 200+m towers likely won't be appropriate.
Just to clarify, when we are talking about 30 minute frequencies here, it is because the express trains are likely not going to be stopping at Park Lawn GO, correct?

The lakeshore line will have 15 minute frequencies - but as Mimico GO is so close, Metrolinx is planning to have trains alternate stations at which they stop. Which results in 30 minute frequencies at those stations.

The lakeshore line will have 15 minute frequencies - but as Mimico GO is so close, Metrolinx is planning to have trains alternate stations at which they stop. Which results in 30 minute frequencies at those stations.
In all fairness, Metrolinx also thinks that there are only 14,000 residents currently living in Humber Bay Shores area and doesn't project any increases to the population (ever). In addition, they project the new station to generate exactly 200 net new riders. With estimates as brilliant as that, no wonder they only plan for 30 minute service. Let them build the station first and see the real ridership numbers. They will switch the station to 15 minute service in no time.

^We can thank Ms.Leslie Woo and her team for coming up with those numbers out of thin air, but anyways I digress.

I still think having a 200+ meter tall building outside of the downtown core, midtown core, and uptown core is asinine.

I still think having a 200+ meter tall building outside of the downtown core, midtown core, and uptown core is asinine.
Personally, I don't agree. This area deserves intensification, given proper infrastructure upgrades. It can be an entire new core of sorts, planned and built entirely with the modern mixed use high rise developments in mind. This prime waterfront spot deserves nothing less. I personally hope for proper Manhattanisation of the Kraft site with a couple of towers taller than Eau du Soleil. Imagine a supertall tower here...

This prime waterfront spot deserves nothing less. I personally hope for proper Manhattanisation of the Kraft site with a couple of towers taller than Eau du Soleil. Imagine a supertall tower here...

I agree, they may up the ante here with 70-80 storey towers,
i don"t think height is an issue here if the city gets what they want out of First Capital

I just don't see the appeal of living in a 70 storey tower as part of a residential TOD master plan . Elevators suck in my opinion of course. What rationale is there to build so tall and potentially so dense here? Are there any limits to those proposing supertalls? When I think of Manhattan, I think of short blocks made up of side up side midrises and highrises reaching as high as 50 metres. Humber Bay Shores reminds me of singular developments attempting to outdo one another like some Asian/ Middle East fetish developments than one that provides a coherent , softer form of high rise development like Cityplace's Toronto scaled Vancouverism.

I hope Kraft gets developed with many short blocks with mixed use perimeter block buildings with a modest tower (by HBS standards) thrown here and there. That would stand out among the VCCs and M Citys. I expect an inward focused, giant scaled Burnaby type master plan perhaps with an open air mall with tall towers on top.

Back