Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

^^ You would think it would be the opposite. The city should be encouraging the developers to get creative and build original designs. Some things in this city just make no sense at all.

I don't think scaling down this tower would necessarily make it dull, but it is true that almost every project we've seen go through the DRP process comes out much duller on the other end.

+1

So what is their rationale for turning this down?

Spoke with the.people at Eau du Soleil today. Good news. They have sold 500 of the 750 units of tower A. They will have an official public offering in March and the prices are going up. They expect to be digging in July or August and tower B should be released at the end of summer.
They did not seem too concerned with the findings of the committee. They said that happens on every project. Will be great to see this project get started this summer.

Spoke with the.people at Eau du Soleil today. Good news. They have sold 500 of the 750 units of tower A. They will have an official public offering in March and the prices are going up. They expect to be digging in July or August and tower B should be released at the end of summer.
They did not seem too concerned with the findings of the committee. They said that happens on every project. Will be great to see this project get started this summer.

Thanks for the update.

The Design Review Committee is purely advisory. It's a good thing since zoning alone doesn't care about building design. It still in it's infancy and will be further refined.

So is another developer that is selling without receiving approval from the city. The developers in Toronto are awfully confident, or is there something more to the story?

WP_20130223_008.jpg

Here is the view from the balcony of the penthouse of Beyond the Sea on the 36 floor looking towards the CN Tower and the
site of Eau du Soleil. The view from our building should be even better than this.

I really like the design of the building. Its good that the committee has no real power. Hopefully they don't mess with the design of the podium too much. They have designed 40,000 sq. ft of space for amenities. This should create a real community in this condo instead of a place where people rarely venture outside of their unit. This design reminds me of a cruise ship where people spend time outside of the cabins in the living areas. Maybe that's why sales are strong.
To see a video of this view go to: http://w11.zetaboards.com/Eau_du_soleil_condos

Attachments

• WP_20130223_008.jpg
    WP_20130223_008.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 856
Looking at the new renders it looks like they got rid of the grand entrance. Thanks a lot, design review panel, you waste of tax money.

f7f82a274c18ab7da05e080b47b7.jpg

Looking at this rendering it looks exactly like the one released last November. What makes you think they changed the grand entrance? Hope they don't change that because a covered entrance where people can be dropped off or where people can wait for friends to come down is real handy. This is all part of why so many units have sold in such a short time.

You can still see the V-shaped supports in the second render. However the others don't show the notch in the white band running along the west side of the first floor corresponding to the double height of the drop-off area. An omission maybe?

I see now why you guys think that the plans have changed. I think the renderings from Zeidler's website are the first rough drawings before the details were put in. From Empire's own site at empirecommunities.com the renderings have the V support arches for the 2 storey entrance.
eds_status.jpg

A better detailed rendering is here.

TwoTowers.jpg

I don't think they have changed the plans. At least I hope not.

Attachments

• eds_status.jpg
    eds_status.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 701
  • TwoTowers.jpg
    TwoTowers.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 752
Looks like they have started to dig at the site. I saw about 4 machines at the site and there is already a big hole
where the building will be.
EauDuSoleilStart.jpg

Attachments

• EauDuSoleilStart.jpg
    EauDuSoleilStart.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 624
Would this not be the start of construction for an on-site sales centre for the upcoming public launch? Looks like a driveway going in, too.

This project will be one of the tallest buildings outside a major city core. I think there's one taller in Texas somewhere, but in Canada this is def the tallest tower outside a city core.

Back