Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Scaffolding is starting to go up along Yonge St and also along the south-facing roof.

searsa16.jpg

Attachments

• searsa16.jpg
    searsa16.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 6,320
My reaction to that photo was simultaneously positive and negative. Positive because finally this old facade is going to get a modern treatment that will break up the remaining big box store feel of the mall. Negative because it's an eerie reminder of Metropolis' blue hoarding we had to live with for so many years at this intersection. Cramped dark sidewalks were the norm for Yonge & Dundas for the better part of a decade. They're back — hopefully for a much more brief period.

I have a couple of questions for those following this development closer than I've been:

1 - Do we know yet if Cadillac Fairview will take this opportunity to continue the galleria of stores through the previous Sears store to Dundas? This would help break up the street wall on Yonge into smaller stores and improve access to the mall from Yonge & Dundas without having to walk through a department store. Will at least one floor continue the galleria or will Nordstrom occupy all floors maintaining the awkward access into the mall from Yonge & Dundas?

2 - From this picture, it looks like the hoarding continues beyond the former Sears store, going on to enclose the atrium as well. The new atrium hasn't been there for long but I hope they replace it to reorient it back to the corner of Y&D. The blank street wall facing Dundas was a terrible decision.

(EDIT: I went back and read the thread. I see that this has all been discussed with passionate opinions expressed over the Y&D atrium. I'll leave my post and questions up in case new info has since come forward)

Last edited:
I don't understand why they haven't shown or described what their plans are. We know we're getting Nordstrom, but how is it being incorporated, and where are the renders?

I agree... its very strange for this to have started and not know what it will actually look like. Unless these renders are hiding somewhere.

The overall results of what the Eaton Centre has become, at least along Yonge St, are nothing short of a travesty. The work that Queens Quay Architects & Zeidler did in remodelling the entrance is right on par with the architectural prowess of Dundas Square buildings. The removal of that glazed entrance has turned me off from entering the mall from the north end.

p5

Eaton centre should be covered with mirrors, then we won't have to look at it. I don't what these changes will bring, but it better not be just some cheap glass.

I really hope that I'm wrong, but this looks like we're just getting a paint job.

Sears Paint Job.JPG

Attachments

• Sears Paint Job.JPG
    Sears Paint Job.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 3,571

Back