Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

God forbid you should have to go outside

So, I must say something: why are some forum members so cold and snappy in their remarks? What Dev said is completely reasonable and even if there are alternatives (in this case, going outside), what is wrong with what he said (being relieved there is another passage)? Most of the remarks like this are uncalled for and I don't get what triggers people to be so off-putting right away?

So, I must say something: why are some forum members so cold and snappy in their remarks? What Dev said is completely reasonable and even if there are alternatives (in this case, going outside), what is wrong with what he said (being relieved there is another passage)? Most of the remarks like this are uncalled for and I don't get what triggers people to be so off-putting right away?

I was snarking on the fact that he was "worried" about this. Really? you were worried? Fergawdsake it's downtown TO, find an alternate route and don't be so 'worried'. Meditation might help.

I was snarking on the fact that he was "worried" about this. Really? you were worried? Fergawdsake it's downtown TO, find an alternate route and don't be so 'worried'. Meditation might help.

Its a turn of phrase.

Let's get back on topic please. Good to hear we're finally adopting the ISO standard signs. It's also important that the colours are green vs. red. Red typically representing an error or a stop or problem. I guess I should start collecting red exit signs to sell as antiques.

The problem with red signs had to do with fire emergencies. What colour is a fire? And where does smoke go? So people were faced with situations of seeing red through a cloud of smoke (as the exit sign was at the top of the ceiling with the smoke). Was it fire or the exit sign? Seeing a green light helps eliminate that problem. A further advance would be to put the sign lower than the actual ceiling height, so it would not be as obscured by smoke.

no obviously not, I just said that to explain that they work. languageless signs are preferred as it conveys the message to someone of any language, and with such a large immigrant population in Toronto, it is very useful because of that.
Immigrants need to be able to speak English or French when they come to Canada, so that's not a reason.

Immigrants need to be able to speak English or French when they come to Canada, so that's not a reason.

Not necessarily. I am not an expert but I do not believe that you need to meet a language requirement if you are coming to Canada by virtue of your (Canadian resident) spouse's sponsorship.

Not necessarily. I am not an expert but I do not believe that you need to meet a language requirement if you are coming to Canada by virtue of your (Canadian resident) spouse's sponsorship.
Sponsorship is not what I was referring to.

CF did mention a $400 million investment on their part, calling it a "second phase of redevelopment" after the $120 million they spent a couple of years ago.

Does that $400M include renovations on the south-end and the integration of the HBC building? (Not the purchase price of the asset, but renovations?). It is great to see C-F committed to maintaining and enhancing the Eaton Centre as a pre-eminent place to shop in the region. It's important to downtown.

possibly includes the rental tower they want to build as well? I suspect it will include that, some major renovations of the HBC space including an expanded tunnel under Queen, the recladding of the simpsons tower, etc.

Back