Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Another small pic - upper right pic:

1535580_608187402584581_1756813331_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/VintageToronto/timeline?filter=3

This pic from above shows what's currently there:

http://onebigphoto.com/eaton-centre-toronto/

Last edited:
Here's another really bad photo...far right middle pic shows the entire "floating island" restaurant. You can see how large the original open atrium area was before they filled in that section when they built the police office/TD outlet.

That looks like a video still, where is it from?

i'm not sure--it had a weird fish-eye effect that i partially straightened out in DxO Viewpoint. i think its just a very lo-def image-possibly from a post card, like many of the others posted here.

Hey...that's the best photo yet thedeepend!!!

I'm just glad the "floating purple restaurant" wasn't just my imagination. ha

A little gem of a film called The Silent Partner (1978) had many scenes shot in the TEC.

I think CF also wanted to decrease the size of the Dundas Mall atrium in order to reduce loitering. Perhaps hard to believe now, but it was actually becoming a spot for gang activity/gatherings and occasional violence.

I think CF also wanted to decrease the size of the Dundas Mall atrium in order to reduce loitering.

Oh...that's very funny. While I recall $2 Tuesdays got a bit rowdy down there at some point while the Cineplex was still operating, I can assure you that the motive was purely monetary.

Once CF was no longer a Bronfman entity, all ideas of architectural integrity was no longer even on their radar. Pension funds care 100% only about maximizing returns on investments. The Bronfmans on the other hand, were major patrons of the arts. They are why there is a Seagram Building in NYC, a TD Centre and the Zeidler designed Eaton Centre.

While we're slitting our throats over a couple of nondescript warehouses on King street like Toronto's heritage hinged on them and make sure we do everything we can to hamper one of Toronto's great patron of the arts...we let something as architecturally important as TEC get mercilessly trashed. Toronto...one bad judgement call after another.

I think CF also wanted to decrease the size of the Dundas Mall atrium in order to reduce loitering. Perhaps hard to believe now, but it was actually becoming a spot for gang activity/gatherings and occasional violence.

Remember the thick clouds of smoke? The gangs and teens used to hang around there and smoke. Back in those days there was no smoking bylaws. My older sister and her friends used to go to the mall just to smoke, so they wouldn't get caught by my parents who were driving to and from the office. ;)

Nothing a few Paul Blarts couldn't handle.

Back