Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Stupid question but are the new panels the blue ones?

Stupid question but are the new panels the ones where the blue is more pronounced?? (I assume so as the glass is more transparent allowing the blue sky to shine through?)
Yeah, it's the section that breaks the pattern of the glass, as shown below:
Worth noting that the new panels are larger (they seem to replace 3 of the old pink panels with a single blue panel), and that they are testing both clear and frosted glass here. Clear towards the centre of the arch, frosted is being tested towards the outside. Tbh, both look good, but I kinda prefer the clear glass for the view of the city around the mall.

Regardless of whatever glass they go with, the larger panel sizes is gonna clean up the look of the galleria roof massively.

The question here is that the original glass was frosted to what I presume was to prevent too much sunlight from cooking up things below. How much are the new larger clearer panes plan to mitigate this? Or was it determined that this was never a real issue in the first place?

A photo from the dystopian future, the day 'The Borg' assimilated the Eaton Centre.
Or from this:

1654279471204.png

I was having coffee at Nordstrom's e-bar recently and had a good view of the galleria glass roof. It does look very grimy . Glad they're replacing it.

It’s amazing what a difference clear glass can make. This was from The Core in Calgary a few days ago:View attachment 405503

You don't need to go that far - a closer example is available at Yorkdale with a similar spider clamp system.

Cleaner it maybe, but lacking personality as well. It's exciting - when you're the first one doing it. Besides the "clutter" can be considered a key element in technoromantic architecture (can you imagine say "cleaning up" the expression of Pompidou Centre?). Eaton Centre is being slowly scrubbed of any remarkable values - and being turned into yet another mall.

AoD

Last edited:
You don't need to go that far - a closer example is available at Yorkdale with a similar spider clamp system.

Cleaner it maybe, but lacking personality as well. It's exciting - when you're the first one doing it. Besides the "clutter" can be considered a key element in technoromantic architecture (can you imagine say "cleaning up" the expression of Pompidou Centre?). Eaton Centre is being slowly scrubbed of any remarkable values - and being turned into yet another mall.

AoD

I essentially agree w/the sentiment here.

But to me the glass is just about the least concerning thing; I do see merit in changing it out (though with what is a different question)

I think losing the original railings was a big loss in terms of the design aesthetic, so was losing the trees that used to be present, and the southern water feature; The biggest loss has to be the series of changes over 30 years to the Dundas Arcade which was once interesting inside and out and now feels completely spare/spartan and utilitarian

Back