Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

20190219_141057.jpg

Scaffolding has gone up at the north end of the atrium. I've always felt that this was pretty lacking as a terminus view of the mall. It's such a big canvass. I hope they do something nicer with it.
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 4.12.40 PM.png

Work has started on the new Apple Store on the main level. The back of Baby GAP facing outside — which is part of the new Apple — has been hoarded up. It looks like this will be the construction entrance, rather than from within the mall as most store constructions are.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 4.12.49 PM.png

Apple has in the past declined other prime spaces in the mall, including 2 Queen West, because they wanted a public square facing location for their flagship. There's been talk about closing James St. when the courts leave Old City Hall and the building is transformed into a City of Toronto Museum. James St. could then become a public square and Apple would now be facing into it.

It's not yet clear whether this will happen now or in a few years once these changes are made to James St. We'll soon find out if hoarding goes up along the rest of the former Abercrombie & Fitch outdoor facade.

Really hope they start dealing with the Queen St entrance and the roof as soon as they can- those are some especially worn out areas that stick out and diminish the impact of the other renovations.

The roof especially needs some attention, there are areas that are badly yellowed and stained.

I should add that Apple's construction hoarding is way more secure than the Abercrombie built across from it. During Abercrombie's build, you could peek through the gaps in the doors. For Apple's construction, it appears to be compartmentalized so you can only peek in at a second set of doors if you do happen to see anyone go in. I've already confirmed that this is Apple but we can add the secrecy to the pile of evidence.

Scaffolding has gone up at the north end of the atrium. I've always felt that this was pretty lacking as a terminus view of the mall. It's such a big canvass. I hope they do something nicer with it.
View attachment 185013

Work has started on the new Apple Store on the main level. The back of Baby GAP facing outside — which is part of the new Apple — has been hoarded up. It looks like this will be the construction entrance, rather than from within the mall as most store constructions are.

View attachment 185014

Apple has in the past declined other prime spaces in the mall, including 2 Queen West, because they wanted a public square facing location for their flagship. There's been talk about closing James St. when the courts leave Old City Hall and the building is transformed into a City of Toronto Museum. James St. could then become a public square and Apple would now be facing into it.

It's not yet clear whether this will happen now or in a few years once these changes are made to James St. We'll soon find out if hoarding goes up along the rest of the former Abercrombie & Fitch outdoor facade.
And with the plan to make the first floor of the court house a retail space, it could be a good option for a true flagship apple store, similar to Central Station in NYC. But that’s a decade out

View attachment 185013

View attachment 185014

Got an update on this:

screen-shot-2019-05-09-at-4-12-40-pm-png.185013

They're building windows overlooking the atrium for the new offices above Nordstrom.

I swear BMO better not be using that same hideous glass for fronting the Yonge facade as they are with the backside of the building.

Today along Yonge St.

Did you happen to notice if they were installing the new screen at 10 Dundas East? It's been over 2 months since they took down the existing ad screen without having the new screen ready for installation, no doubt losing hundreds of thousands in ad revenue in the process. What terrible property management. I kind of wish someone like CF or Oxford would buy them out.

Back