Toronto Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Wow, this is a rather lame renewal project, you'd think they add some retail in there or something beyond new glass.

I too lament the loss of the entrance canopies. At the risk of resuscitating the "entrance to the Eaton Centre" debate that had the same duration as the seven year war, I find the current Dundas Square entrance totally bland and really miss the old entrance. I used to take some consolation that at least the south entrance reminded me of the north.

Now it's gone. Sigh.

Architectural merit aside, the old enterance at Dundas was unbearably dingy and smelly. The ventilation system was terrible.

Around 1990, when it was a generously glass-canopied open space, there used to be a nice little restaurant ( run by Roots, I believe ) inside the Dundas Street entrance, at street level, just to the west of the suspended kites. Later, if I recall, it became an area with bank machines.

Having "improved" the glass-canopied Dundas and Queen entrances by ripping them down, I wonder how long it will be before these dim bulbs turn their attention to the matching Galleria and "improve" that too?

2702039013_c19e59b1cc_b.jpg

2702359775_c9a04456a6_b.jpg

The sides are ok - the increased transparency is nice - but what's with the radiator grille at the front? It sure looked ridiculous in daytime.

AoD

I like it.... the modern/mechanical design contrasts effectively against The Bay and Old City Hall's gothic architecture

I saw it yesterday. It's nice on its own but doesn't even attempt to match the tower above. It's like wearing a pair of yellow pants with a black shirt.

I gotta check it again, but I think this new lobby can only be entered/exited via the corner; the old one had NW/SE egresses too...

I gotta check it again, but I think this new lobby can only be entered/exited via the corner; the old one had NW/SE egresses too...

Only the corner and the photo show this.

Back