20170728_070130.jpg

Attachments

• 20170728_070123.jpg
    20170728_070123.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
  • 20170728_070130.jpg
    20170728_070130.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 227
I mean it's not even Yonge Street at that point, it's Highway 11. Yonge St is just an extension of the highway so really there's nothing exceptional about it other than being Toronto's East/West divider.

Well, it is Yonge Street that ends at the Holland Marsh; just south of Holland Landing, former Highway 11, now York Regional Road 1, has already diverted off the alignment and headed over to Bradford.

That streetscape just perpetuates one of Toronto's most famous myths of Yonge Street allegedly being the longest street in the world. Yonge Street boosters use the entire length of pre-Harris Highway 11 to claim as Yonge Street. In reality, Yonge Street ends at Holland Marsh and there are many streets longer than Yonge Street in Ontario alone, such as Steeles Avenue.

Even pre-Harris Highway 11 isn't the longest street in the world. Old Route 66 stretching from Chicago to Santa Monica is much longer (and continuous too without any jogs pre-Interstate system).

It should be removed as soon as possible.

I grew up in Timmins, so I loved seeing my hometown there. Even though Highway 11 doesn't even go through Timmins lol, it's about another 45 minutes on Highway 101 (off of 11) before you get to Timmins, so not sure why it was even listed.

I lived in Northern Ontario for a lot of years, and I always liked seeing that streetscape when I was in the city. Then I moved to Toronto, and I didn't care so much. :D

I grew up in Timmins, so I loved seeing my hometown there. Even though Highway 11 doesn't even go through Timmins lol, it's about another 45 minutes on Highway 101 (off of 11) before you get to Timmins, so not sure why it was even listed.
Agreed, as someone from the Rainy River District it's nice to see it acknowledged in a province that's consciousness ends at barrie.

I got some picture of the bridge construction today. First of all the area in front of it currently is being used as temporary setting are for sced cup and you can no longer walk along the area between ther and Harry Rosen. Alos the large video scree is gone too that was showing updates on the project.
36231896016_0c926e8174_z_d.jpg

35879181570_6694ceef19_z_d.jpg

All of the exterior glass seems to be in place now, and all they have left is the decorative trim pieces and the bottom to do.

The bridge is actually a very pleasant surprise - the design has a really strong and straightforward concept and it just works.

Unfortunately, being the Eaton Centre, they had to also do something misguided to balance the good decision-making behind the bridge and put up that tacky and out-of-place CF EATON CENTRE sign across midpoint of the glass roof over the interior of the mall. They've added an elegant new bridge inspired by the geometries of the buildings (Eaton Centre and HBC) and.... spoilt the roofline on the interior entirely.

Shaking my head at you, Cadillac Fairview.

The bridge is actually a very pleasant surprise - the design has a really strong and straightforward concept and it just works.

Unfortunately, being the Eaton Centre, they had to also do something misguided to balance the good decision-making behind the bridge and put up that tacky and out-of-place CF EATON CENTRE sign across midpoint of the glass roof over the interior of the mall. They've added an elegant new bridge inspired by the geometries of the buildings (Eaton Centre and HBC) and.... spoilt the roofline on the interior entirely.

Shaking my head at you, Cadillac Fairview.
It's probably for all the photos tourists post on social media so that it can be identified by everyone where it is. Snapchat has abit of a problem with its location it listist as being the Apple Eaton Centre sometimes.

Back