Eaton Centre (Ongoing Renewal) | ?m | ?s | Cadillac Fairview | Zeidler

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
With two different typefaces simply leaving some space there would have sufficed. I guess they could just remove the vertical bar and all would be well

zang

Member Bio
Reaction score
The symbol between CF and Home is a vertical bar: |

Read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_bar
A vertical bar (from a typographical standpoint) should *always* extend above and below the X-height of the preceding/successive text. It acts as a positive visual gutter between two statements/words and is meant to stand out from the rest of the text. Otherwise the questions arise: Is it a vertical bar? Is it the letter I? Is it a lowercase L?.

Seriously, CF designers should know this. But I suspect that some committee or marketing manager somewhere said "but it looks weird. Make it the same height." Much as I'm sure interesting architectural designs are beaten down into beige-tinted suburban mediocrity when their buildings need a reno.

tripwire

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought the trailing vertical bar in red was an exclamation point at first, although I did see the first vertical bar as a vertical bar. It is oddly done.

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
Didn't even notice the vertical bar at the end there to be honest. It's the first one that really bothers me!

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I took a look at the bridge construction today and it looks like they now have a new ramp in place from the old Eaton Centre flor to the level of the new bridge and are now getting it ready for tile work. They have also fully insatled the Garge Door/ Fire door on the eaton Centre side of the bridge.

37242324180_5a78186301_z_d.jpg

37469346022_3240490e4a_z_d.jpg

37452567746_dc2dc01d6a_z_d.jpg

kotsy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like they've added a little connecting screen in between the two main ones. It kind of bothers my OCD that it isn't seamless but it's better than not being there.

I also asked a Samsung employee when the store would be opened a few weeks ago. She told me October or November.

KOT_1206.jpg

Attachments

• KOT_1206.jpg
    KOT_1206.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 164

Contra

Member Bio
Reaction score
Uniqlo signage is pretty great. Subtle but still has the flair the square seems to demand. I guess when you're next to a massive screen like that you'll always end up looking a little subtle though haha