IMG_3160.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_3156.jpg
    IMG_3156.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,409
  • IMG_3170.jpg
    IMG_3170.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 1,399
Looks like a cool place. I hope they keep the old buildings.

Looks like a cool place. I hope they keep the old buildings.

I went on this walk too.

In discussions w/the walk leader ( A VP from First Gulf)

I came to understand that they do have a heritage assessment going on; however, not only are none of the buildings designated, but to my understanding none are all that old.

The one most people know, the main factory, apparently only dates from the 1960s, I had thought it was considerably older.

The secondary building (power plant) may be in the way of the extended Broadview Avenue.

Unfortunately we weren't allowed to tour the inside of the building. I gather the conditions are not overly safe and so not appropriate to large masses of people.

Other notes:

On the Gardiner we were told First Gulf agnostic between the hybrid and full-take down options, but they cannot build on the site, at least not what they are hoping too w/o everything east of the parkway coming down.

They've been asked by locals to consider a connection to the bike trail on the west side of the river; they are open to the idea, but the current ramp alignment makes it tricky/impossible. A full-take down might be needed and or a different ramp alignment/grade.

Different alignments for a Broadview extension are under consideration, nothing final decided, one option has it meet the portlands segment of Saulter St.

They (First Gulf) own 30 acres, but have been asked by the City to masterplan an area of 60 acres, that's everything from Eastern to Lakeshore, and from the Don Roadway to Booth.

A transit station for GO RER is a must for them; the DRL a nice to have, they're envisioning the Broadview streetcar coming south as LRT through the site and meeting up w/QQ East LRT.

The Railway yard to the south (mostly abandoned) will likely be removed, but there is still a requirement to keep a through track. There are only 2 customers left on the line, the sewage plant and a roofing company (once per month). First Gulf is trying to persuade the various parties to consider allowing the track to be removed. Apparently there is some sort of legal obligation for the railway to serve the 'port'.

They (First Gulf) own 30 acres, but have been asked by the City to masterplan an area of 60 acres, that's everything from Eastern to Lakeshore, and from the Don Roadway to Booth.

A transit station for GO RER is a must for them; the DRL a nice to have, they're envisioning the Broadview streetcar coming south as LRT through the site and meeting up w/QQ East LRT.

Recall this blue sky proposal by OMA as part of the early Gardiner process?

http://www.gardinereast.ca/sites/default/files//designideas/Remove_OMA+AMO_Booklet.pdf

Time to revisit it in the context of this site.

AoD

Been there a few times for television series location shoots. The interiors are pretty wild. Some great old machinery. The place handily doubles for down & out industrial Chicago and NYC. A massive site. What eventually gets built in its place will amount to a massive development and a real shift of focus.... it's just that crucial a site.

Back