Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Portion of the former Unilever soap factory showing a mural and two stacks. Shot from the Lower Don Trail.

_1190051.jpg

Attachments

• 1620600129881.png
    1620600129881.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 1620600141834.png
    1620600141834.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 185
Can someone show me on a map where Cadillac Fairview is going to build the proposed 3.25 million sq ft of condos to compliment the East Harbour development? Thanks!

I mean it’s pretty clear it’s going to be via MZO. And it’s a good thing if you ask me - keeping this site employment only will make it a very sterile, boring place.

So long as space can be found for all the potential employment being dislocated, I'm open to including some residential.

Though I don't see the need for it to be as substantial as contemplated.

If any residential is permitted here, I also want to see a substantial affordable housing commitment as part of that.

Last edited:
It’s like the city doesn’t conceptualize that we’re in a housing crisis right now.

We also know mixed use development creates much more vibrancy than just commercial development. Fortunately it’s likely the province will provide CF a MZO

Paula Fletcher is very much of the view that the City should be compartmentalized into districts based on their function.

She’s guarded for some time against the relaxation of the employment zoning in the box store district around Lake Shore and Leslie. And so we have just that. A district in stasis (while the City swells elsewhere) built out as a suburban big box mall with its massive surface parking lots.

Paula Fletcher is very much of the view that the City should be compartmentalized into districts based on their function.

She’s guarded for some time against the relaxation of the employment zoning in the box store district around Lake Shore and Leslie. And so we have just that. A district in stasis (while the City swells elsewhere) built out as a suburban big box mall with its massive surface parking lots.
So she fundamentally does not understand how cities should work and is contributing to the housing, inequality, and climate crisis.

MZO?

I really hate acronyms. 😒

Minister's Zoning Order.

The way in which the Minister of Municipal Affairs in Ontario, can by fiat, overrule local Official Plans, and exempt developments from most most planning and regulatory processes.

Last edited:
From the article:

"In the letter from senior project manager Stewart, Cadillac Fairview says it “needs” to begin construction at the East Harbour transit hub in summer 2022 to meet the province’s 2026 deadline for opening."

Any disputes have to take place before summer 2022, or else there'll be a delay (On top of regular delays) in building the thousands of apartments that they're planning (And that many in city hall claim to want in a bid to cool housing). The Ontario line is planned to open in 2030, so it would fit in nicely with that.

New article on The Star about this project:

easy peasy solution here... up the density and build residential in addition to employment

city councillor stop thinking development is a zero-sum game challenge

Back