Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Regressive corporate culture will force people back to offices so commercial and residential demand in the core will recover.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but I remember reading that East Harbour is planning something like 10 million sq ft of office space to Toronto's stock and I've been trying to find out how many square feet the city currently has and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have the number?

It's driving me nuts. I know I should be able to find it but I can't. Please end my suffering.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic but I remember reading that East Harbour is planning something like 10 million sq ft of office space to Toronto's stock and I've been trying to find out how many square feet the city currently has and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone have the number?

It's driving me nuts. I know I should be able to find it but I can't. Please end my suffering.

Current as at July 2019:

Within the city of Toronto, there is currently 164.3 million sq. ft. of office space, including 87.68 million sq. ft. within downtown and 76.62 million sq. ft. in suburban areas.

From: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-toronto-office-demand-july-2019-report

Q32020 report from CBRE:

1606521947638.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Henning-Larsen and the original architects previously arranged to design this site (under first gulf) are still designing East harbour under new leadership (Cadillac Fairview)? This development feels very quiet lately.

Does anyone know if Henning-Larsen and the original architects previously arranged to design this site (under first gulf) are still designing East harbour under new leadership (Cadillac Fairview)? This development feels very quiet lately.
If anyone knew, they would have posted it. UT Members generally like to scoop one another with big news like that. In the meantime, this is a longterm project, pretty much all commercial space, and with some uncertainty what with one thing and another lately, don't expect anything tomorrow.

If anyone knew, they would have posted it. UT Members generally like to scoop one another with big news like that. In the meantime, this is a longterm project, pretty much all commercial space, and with some uncertainty what with one thing and another lately, don't expect anything tomorrow.

That competitive spirit amongst members is what makes this virtual forum amazing and often the first place news is broken in this city.

Never change UT, never change.

Anyone with an inside scoop have an idea when we might hear more about the East Harbour Site? In the most recent Smarttrack doc (https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-159999.pdf), the city is noting RFP issuance for Q4 2021. However, they note that "* East Harbour Station is being developed through a TOD/TOC approach with a prospective Design-Builder. The terms of the design and construction are currently being negotiated."

Should we see more details before Q4 from Cadillac Fairview?

Ontario Identifies First Two Subway Transit-Oriented Communities

Residential space coming to East Harbour?
A preliminary set of concepts proposes a transformation of the 38-acre East Harbour development site into a transit-oriented community that would include the creation of a major employment centre expected to bring more than 50,000 jobs to the area. The proposal also includes a diverse range of residential space and community amenities surrounding a multi-modal hub or a Union Station of the East that would bring GO rail and SmartTrack station services, Ontario Line subway service and a future TTC streetcar extension.

Hmmm, the challenge here is that this announcement is also talking about Corktown/First Parliament.

In fact, every 'render' is about Corktown, not one is about Unilever/East Harbour.

The Infrastructure Ontario website references residential also.

The East Harbour Transit Hub will support local transit needs in a new community, as well as, regional connectivity, including incorporating the GO Train (Lakeshore East and the Markham/Stouffville line), SmartTrack services, future TTC light rail transit (linking the Queens Quay LRT with Broadview Avenue) and the Ontario Line subway. The site will represent a complete community and with a diverse range of commercial space, residential space, retail, food, cultural uses and outdoor space.

Hmmm, the challenge here is that this announcement is also talking about Corktown/First Parliament.

In fact, every 'render' is about Corktown, not one is about Unilever/East Harbour.
They do say they envision residential as part of the EH site. I know there has been a lot of emphasis on maintaining the employment character of the station, but I see no harm in mixing in some residential to help with activation of the streets during evenings/weekends.

Back