Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

It is very likely that this area will be trying to cater to the Tech. sector. Also, there is 72 aches of land primed for development here. First gulf only owns/controls 38 of them. The City owns a bunch as well. It is meant to be its own hub with quick access to the existing downtown via the transit hub.

On the airport front it is a non issue having the Gardiner DVP right at its doorstep (traffic aside).

It is very likely that this area will be trying to cater to the Tech. sector. Also, there is 72 aches of land primed for development here. First gulf only owns/controls 38 of them. The City owns a bunch as well. It is meant to be it's own hub with quick access to the existing downtown via the transit hub.

On the airport front it is a non issue having the Gardiner DVP right at it's doorstep (traffic aside).

I'd say tech AND media - given the studio district immediately to the south. Airport is probably a non-issue, though I wonder if they can extend UPX (or whatever it will be) to terminate at East Harbour when push comes to shove.

AoD

Any thoughts on whether the sale is indicative of something problematic for the project? Like, Great Gulf looked at things and realized it would take too long to get anything going?

I feel like transit is and will continue to be a massive delay in completing the project, and that building in stages will allow CF to make some coin on the deal, but ultimately result in a slapdash layout of the site.

But I also look at the myriad of nearby projects that may influence the timetable. I mean, the East harbour site is sitting in flood plain, about to be mitigated by the Portlands project. They’ve still gotta carve out a new bay at the foot of the Don. Hybrid Gardiner is still on the books right? Then the DRL/Ontario Line, Smart track, etc. So like, another ten years or so before things are close to done?

Not necessarily a worrying sign. This is an extremely long term project, and Great Gulf might just want a quicker return on their investment than this project can facilitate. All my own speculation

Looks like First Gulf made out big here. Didn’t they buy this site for pennies a few years ago? Lots of value created with little in real risk..

First Gulf was always sort of “over their heads” here - this complex will rival the size of many major market’s entire office stock. Cadillac Fairview has deeper pockets and likely longer timelines to get a return, so it makes sense.

This is and was always a multi-decade project. The first office building is “only” 600,000sf and isn’t due for completion until 2025 or so by the looks of it.. 10 million sf of space is going to take a long time to fill.

Whoa -- Henning Larsen and Gehl, apparently.

Henning Larsen -- Unfolding a Vision for Part of the Largest Planned Commercial Development in Canada

"In collaboration with First Gulf and Danish urban planning firm Gehl, we’re proud to release the next evolution of design planning...

...For Michael Sørensen, Partner and Architect with Henning Larsen, East Harbour is an opportunity to bring a new social and professional dimension to Toronto.
'Our vision for East Harbour puts a human focus on the redevelopment plan, Sørensen said. We want to make this a space not just for business, but for the diverse population of greater Toronto. This means a strong emphasis on pedestrian avenues, green spaces, and social commons. East Harbour will be a place to linger rather than pass through, working as a social extension of the vibrant neighboring community.'”

View attachment 187139

View attachment 187140

View attachment 187141

And a couple screenshots with additional images, from the HL Instagram:

View attachment 187142

View attachment 187143

So do we think CF will be watering down the architecture here? I'd hate to end up with Southcore 2.0 (another CF project)

This area should zoned as to having 400m tall towers. It's not near CN Tower to take away from its grandeur nor are there any shadowing concerns. We should get the world's greatest architects to design very interesting buildings. This is Toronto's chance to build another downtown, why make a carbon copy of the old one but re-invent it with some originality.

This area should zoned as to having 400m tall towers. It's not near CN Tower to take away from its grandeur nor are there any shadowing concerns. We should get the world's greatest architects to design very interesting buildings. This is Toronto's chance to build another downtown, why make a carbon copy of the old one but re-invent it with some originality.
Yes i agree but it's too late, city planning has already put its height restrictions

Do you know if there is demand for that much office space? Who is going to finance it? You?

Yes I feel this area along with the Portland we have a clean slate and we should use it to showcase the best of what we can offer.

I'm sure the residents of the Beaches, Leslieville and Riverdale are aching to see 400 metre towers cropping up at Broadview and Lake Shore. Clean slate, indeed.

Reactions: DSC

Back