Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

Hmmmm, what's that about? Soil remediation issues? Lingering toxicity that's deemed too expensive to deal with? Last I heard, the same thing's happening further east on Eastern, for the proposed office and retail developments around Revival (629 Eastern) - no residential at all.

I am sure contamination is an issue, but more likely that employment lands in the city is limited and a large, contiguous site like this is worth a lot more as office space in the long run?

AoD

Yeah, could be. I dunno. Certainly there's been so many condo towers going up over the past several years... every cycle has to have a downturn. But still, I am very surprised. I expected a mix of office, retail, light industrial even - and residential.... it is after all a huge chunk of land and if the downtown relef line cuts through it, watch out for crazy growth on the east bank of the Don... albeit still several years down the road.

Last edited:
There would be a long and extensive Official plan amendment process to allow residential here which would likely end up at the OMB due to the cities position on employment land conversion, which is a process First Gulf likely doesn't want to go through.

Makes sense. Build it out as fast as possible rater than wait on the OMB. And it's not as if there aren't lots of residential development possibilities along Eastern - and along the lower Don, for that matter.

I don't think they're in a rush to develop which is probably why they have no interest in building residential. The cleanup would be far more intensive for a lower return.

From yesterday.

IMG_6937 2.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6937 2.JPG
    IMG_6937 2.JPG
    475.6 KB · Views: 1,341
Makes me shudder to think about what the Don must have been like before it was cleaned up. Great photo though.
The cleaning up was not so much the "flotsam" but rather the interception of sewers that discharged directly into the river and moving their discharges into a proper sewer. The water is cleaner but still not clean.

The flotsam is there because of the 90 degree turn in the river, it builds up as it can't discharge into the lake. When the don mouth is naturalized the flotsam should clear up.

Back