Toronto East FiftyFive | 83.21m | 24s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

Early morning crane lifts, happening on a daily basis for the past few days.
2FD1EF83-4CFC-4302-8692-2B017ADA1F66.jpeg

The mechanical penthouse, while interestingly positioned, is unfortunately lacking in architectural design despite its prominence as the top 3 storeys of the building. It brings down an otherwise sharp design.
Agreed, it always surprises me that architects do not give much as much (or more) attention to 'the crowns' as they do to the podiums. They are visible to far more people! Of course the Daniels mess @ Lower Jarvis "takes the crown crown" as maybe the worst recent example but ....

Agreed, it always surprises me that architects do not give much as much (or more) attention to 'the crowns' as they do to the podiums. They are visible to far more people! Of course the Daniels mess @ Lower Jarvis "takes the crown crown" as maybe the worst recent example but ....

Well now, it's like we don't complain about a lot of the podiums too! (and rightly so)

It gives me more respect for the principles of Art Deco skyscraper architecture, where the top was often treated as a grand finale to the building's design in the form of an interesting spire. The sort of design seen in this condo seems to treat it as an opportunity to be stark, cheap, and utilitarian. It makes you wonder what other corners they were willing to cut.

We are working on our UrbanToronto Year-End Poll for the best buildings completed in 2020.
This is one of the projects that may have wrapped up in the short amount of time since the last update, but we will require a photo update showing the last bits complete (hoarding down, etc.,) to be included.
If anyone is in the area, photos would be very helpful!

We are working on our UrbanToronto Year-End Poll for the best buildings completed in 2020.
This is one of the projects that may have wrapped up in the short amount of time since the last update, but we will require a photo update showing the last bits complete (hoarding down, etc.,) to be included.
If anyone is in the area, photos would be very helpful!
@someMidTowner I can take a few photos on Saturday if that timing works.

Quality wise, yes. Style wise, it's rather ho-hum, IMO.

Lamb and aA hav ethos tendency to build insanely tall ceiling retail spaces at grade with huge glass facades that are bland as hell. Everything from the second floor up is great but god is the ground level sterile.

also I feel like the landscaping here is lacklustre. Given the side street condition I would have loved to see trees in raised planters along the street much like you see along Maple Leaf Gardens on York St. There is the space here, you don’t need a super wide sidewalk.

Back