News   Apr 19, 2024
 420     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 746     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 757     1 

Toronto East Bayfront: Aitken Place Park | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Finally got over to see it in person, and have to say I probably enjoyed the extended promenade more than the park. Granted yes, everything was snowed in. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but there’s no exit to queens quay from the park at the moment, right? I doubled back because I didn’t spot any
5D09CCC2-1212-48CB-BE17-95FD4888F755.jpeg

I have been reporting an error in the NAME of Aitken Place Park to Google Maps for ages. Today someone from Google actually phoned me and we got it sorted out! It is no longer Airmen Place Park and is correctly named. Phew!

I am reporting 2 other errors about Aitken Place Park; but only to UT.

LOL

From my walk yesterday (May 23rd, 2021) *cross-posted to the Aquabella thread*

1621885769442.png

(that dog is not mine, was just photo-bombing) LOL

So the error above is the absence of a connection between the rear lane and the top of the park; clearly a route people wish to take, and they are, trampling the vegetation in the process.

Below we see that the flower bed worked out well; but look at those trees at the north end of the park..............they are not in good health!

1621885875027.png

Last edited:
Those trees look in better condition when they where shot in November 17 of last year... :(

So the error above is the absence of connection between the rear lane and the top of the park; clearly a route people wish to take, and they are, trampling the vegetation in the process.
We use this park fairly regularly. The toddler likes to ride his scooter on the promenade, then go to the playground here. The playground is small, but quite nice for kids of all ages. But I don't know who those people are who are cutting a path from the bottom rear lane to the top of the hill. At the times we go, there is never anyone up there other than a few people with young kids who love to run up and down the grassy part of the hill.

Maybe it's time-based, and people without kids are using it in the evenings, but the top of the hill is pretty deserted whenever I see it.

I think that access to the top of the hill may be easier once the fence around AquaX is removed and the park (and the hill) can also be approached from the east. That said, a better 'barrier' (of plants) might be a good idea where @Northern Light has pointed out the informal route

I think that access to the top of the hill may be easier once the fence around AquaX is removed and the park (and the hill) can also be approached from the east. That said, a better 'barrier' (of plants) might be a good idea where @Northern Light has pointed out the informal route

There were plants there, originally.

People (and perhaps pets) trampled them.

I think a decorative fence is probably required (here I'd probably go 3 feet tall), though, in the alternative, a staircase could be built, which would probably address the issue.

There are plants that if established, do a good job keeping people out of spaces; but in a tiny, manicured park, I'm not sure you want to go the route of planting thorny colonial vines like Raspberry, or dense colonies of Hawthorn.

The root-ball is very small...........that may adversely affect growth. I do hope they removed the burlap before planting.

Also, they need to water it in!

Look at the removed tree, laying on the ground.

It never stood a chance.

They cut the roots back far too much relative to size.

FFS......it's math.

You need a root structure in place that can pump the required volume of sap (nutrients) up the tree.

You cannot ask the heart of a mouse to power an elephant!

Last edited:
It never stood a chance.

I don' understand why they don't plant a mix saplings with the larger trees. They put in big trees to get a 'head start' but it's stressful and they don't thrive without the amount of care that they clearly aren't getting. A bunch of saplings would get established more easily and quickly overtake the big ones. Look at those birches. A weedy, fast-growing tree like birch shoots up quickly if you plant as a sapling.

Back