DSC_0078.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0077.JPG
    DSC_0077.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,225
  • DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,276
I stumbled on this thread and I find the conversation around construction near schools very interesting, having been a teacher and also having taught near a tall-building development.

From having read the specifics on this particular project, there are a couple of issues that jump out at me.
From my experience, no amount of noise insulation or enables kids (and teachers) to be on-task without disruptions. It's not one disruption. It can be several in one day, completely unexpected, and lessons have to stop.
Then there is the problem of ground shaking, windows breaking in the school - not from above (yes, we've had several) and as the ground shifted, wall cracks that my father, a retired structural engineer, described as needing serious investigation as the structural integrity of the school was in question (I took pictures to ask for his advice before reporting it as a possible problem).
I won't even go into the flood or the electrical outage or the sewage back-up we've experienced.

I have no doubt that buildings have to be built near schools, and I understand that for this particular project much has been done for student safety.
Relocation, if it was at all an option being considered (or a parents' group getting media attention), is not, and should not be an option. Smaller playgrounds - the kids will be just fine.

One interesting tidbit about John Fisher. Guess who's kids went to the school years ago before she became Premier of Ontario? Yup, Ms. Wynne. Chew on that for a while, LOL.

Is it just me or is this one of the fastest towers to go from excavation to past the podium ever? Seems like in May 2017 the site was being cleared (18 months since! )

Back