Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Bazis and Young & Eligible go so well together. Bring out those stale Borat jokes, please...

haha, can you imagine a proposal for 80 floors? the community would go nuts!

Although I personally think the corner could use a really tall landmark tower right at the corner of what will soon be the crossroads of two major subway lines.

recycle the tower, less the hotel component ... that would be about 50-60s. :p

Bazis is untested in Toronto's waters. But their building designs have been nothing short of surperb. Even Crystal Blue, which by Bazis standards looks alittle dull but is still better than any Krikor concepted Tridel building that I have seen in recent days; and i won't even go into what Concord Adex is stacking up on their development sites.

I personally have nothing aginst the old 1 Bloor East design. Yes the podium is alittle boring, especially when compared to the artistic masterpiece that had replaced it. But I think the 1 Bloor East design, with some modifications, will fit in perfectly at Yonge and Eglinton (if they can modify the podium then it'll be even better).

One thing i have to say about Bazis is that the company doesn't seem like it's here to make a quick buck and then take the next flight out. They are investing in some of the most high profile projects in Toronto (infact all of their projects have been high profile) with the least prestigious location being Emerald Park, which in it self is saying alot as Emerald Park is pretty much on the most prime location in NYCC. So I'm pretty confidence that Bazis will put its heart and soul into the construction of their current projects for the purpose of building a solid brand.

All in all I’ll be very happy to see Bazis put up their next tower at this location. It can either be a modified version of the old 1 Bloor East or something else the Varacalli imagines out of his brilliant head. I’ll be fine with either.

However, I won’t even pretend to expect to see this within the next 10 years. If they’re proposing now, it’ll take them at least that long to finish the job.

This group has already proven themselves enitrely incapable of completing a high profile and complex development on their own in one instance and single highhandedly blighted the most important intersection in Canada for probably 2+ years. And please don't tell me that the market killed their deal. If they were a legitimate developer like the 1/2 dozen or more competent groups in town 1 Bloor East would have been delayed 6 months not 3.5 years.

In short it would be foolish for anyone- City, buyers, contractors, etc. to work with them here in my opinion. They are layers and layers over their head. If the City does approve a proposal from them at this really important corner they better take an extra large letter of credit security deposit to make them mop up their mess after their screw up again!

Last edited:
Somewhere in between UD2's hagiography and CN Tower's tirade lies the truth. Way to be at either end of the pendulum's swing, boys.

This group has already proven themselves completely incapable of completing a high profile and complex development on their own in one instance and single highhandedly blighted the most important intersection in Canada for probably 2+ years. And please don't tell me that the market killed their deal. If they were a legitimate developer like the 1/2 dozen or more competent groups in town 1 Bloor East would have been delayed 6 months not 3.5 years.

In short it would be foolish to anyway- City, buyers, contractors, etc. to work with them here in my opinion. They are layers and layers over their head.

Thats rubbish....Its going on 2 years with GG and finally we just might see ground breaking on One Bloor...Bazis have teamed up with a couple of other developers and built Crystal Blue, Emerald Park is under construction and Exhibit on Bloor is about to break ground, now they are proposing another mega-project for Yonge and Eglinton. Come-on, lets leave the past behind.

Maybe it's another Bazis/Pure Plaza joint venture?

Doubt it. IIRC Plaza basically bailed out Bazis on the Bloor and Sheppard projects and allowed them to stay on the deal to save face. But let's be honest here- Plazacorp. does not need Bazis. Why would they go into a new joint venture with a company that has a negative reputation in the industry? Might as well partner with Stinson!

GG knows that they are doing. Bazis has no clue.

Doubt it. IIRC Plaza basically bailed out Bazis on the Bloor and Sheppard projects and allowed them to stay on the deal to save face. But let's be honest here- Plazacorp. does not need Bazis. Why would they go into a new joint venture with a company that has a negative reputation in the industry? Might as well partner with Stinson!

GG knows that they are doing. Bazis has no clue.

Again..thats crazy talk.:confused:

This group has already proven themselves enitrely incapable of completing a high profile and complex development on their own in one instance and single highhandedly blighted the most important intersection in Canada for probably 2+ years. And please don't tell me that the market killed their deal. If they were a legitimate developer like the 1/2 dozen or more competent groups in town 1 Bloor East would have been delayed 6 months not 3.5 years.

that's interesting because I thought the old 1 Bloor East's dimise had to do with the the Lehman Brothers going bankrupt and market crash that followed.

that's interesting because I thought the old 1 Bloor East's dimise had to do with the the Lehman Brothers going bankrupt and market crash that followed.

Absolutely. Bazis could in no way have predicted, nor was it responsible for,the fall of Lehman Brothers -- which was what caused the failure of their 1BE project. Had LB not collapsed, their version of 1BE would certainly be well under way by now.

Somewhere in between UD2's hagiography and CN Tower's tirade lies the truth.

Hagiography ( /ˌhæɡiˈɒɡrəfi/) is the study of saints.
From the Greek (h)ağios (ἅγιος, "holy" or "saint") and graphēin (γράφειν, "to write"), it refers literally to writings on the subject of such holy people, and specifically to the biographies of ecclesiastical and secular leaders. The term hagiology, the study of hagiography, is also current in English, though less common. This, in fact, follows original Greek practice, where ἁγιογραφία refers to visual images of the saints, while their written lives (βίοι or vitæ) or the study thereof are known as ἁγιολογία.

In case anyone was wondering. ;)

Absolutely. Bazis could in no way have predicted, nor was it responsible for,the fall of Lehman Brothers -- which was what caused the failure of their 1BE project. Had LB not collapsed, their version of 1BE would certainly be well under way by now.

true ... unfortunately Bazis' financing was tied to LB, and when LB went bankrupt, the money disappeared.
then the financial crisis ensued.

Bazis' problem afterwards had to due with their lack of experience/reputation in GTA/North America to garner further financing for such a large project which would have needed more than 1 financier.

true ... unfortunately Bazis' financing was tied to LB, and when LB went bankrupt, the money disappeared.
then the financial crisis ensued.

Bazis' problem afterwards had to due with their lack of experience/reputation in GTA/North America to garner further financing for such a large project which would have needed more than 1 financier.

True, but hind sight is 20/20. Most of the financial institutions in north America - and the world - at that time were in shock and getting financing approved after connection to the LB fiasco would have been nearly impossible for anyone.

Back