Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

Not much room on the north east corner for a larger plaza. And would it make sense to remove a plaza on one corner just to add one to another corner?

If there's room for two major towers, then there's room for a plaza with one tower. And no, it doesn't make much sense to remove a plaza on one corner and add it on another, but then the real issue is if it makes sense to remove the NW plaza to begin with. If the city were really committed to having a public space at this intersection, they would make the NE project contingent on preserving and upgrading the NW plaza.

The city owns a major space near the intersection that it could develop should it deem a plaza is needed here.
The problem with that space, though, is that it is near the intersection, but not at the intersection. That makes it somewhat isolated from Yonge, and wouldn't serve to open up the intersection itself.

I work right next door to the RioCan building, and I'll admit that a) the plaza there really sucks in its current state, and b) the proposed changes to that site overall seem pretty spiffy. But I also think that, if the city really wants to keep the open character of the intersection, there is a possibility for some horse-trading here, given RioCan's development desires on the NE corner.

do you know how much/what they've assembled, AoD?

It's mentioned in the article:

RioCan, Bazis and Metropia have agreed with TD Canada Trust that it will sell them its site at Yonge and Eglinton in exchange for a marquee bank in the new tower on the northeast corner. They also own the Burger King site east of Yonge and, north of the corner, the site currently housing What-A-Bagel, Town Shoes and Black’s Camera.

"What a ratty block of what I consider to be one of the premier addresses in the city," says Mr. Sonshine. “We basically control the back end of the lot to Roehampton. We may try to buy the rest of [Yonge] street [to Roehampton] but the owners have all got stars in their eyes. We are having discussions with the various owners.

Last edited:
The corner.

RepublicYongeEg041211.jpg

Why are people obsessed with having an open space right at this corner? If Bazis/RioCan can put two towers on that site and they want to ... why should they leave open space?

The most successful open space project at Yonge and Eglinton has actually been the small farmers market that opened on Orchard View just west of Yonge. Let the corner be hemmed in by tall buildings. The last thing we need that intersection needs is another windswept plaza.

I'd rather see more public space on the side streets (the new North Toronto playing field) or rebuilding the jungle gym at Eglinton park, then more empty plazas simply to have a plaza.

Well designed plazas don't sit empty. That plaza sat empty because RioCan wanted it empty. There isn't even a bench to sit on, so why would anyone go there?

if these buildings go through then Yonge and Eglinton will see more and more intensity. The area will completely change... IN fact It could transform as fast as Yonge and bloor is. I would say that is a good thing.

Well designed plazas don't sit empty. That plaza sat empty because RioCan wanted it empty. There isn't even a bench to sit on, so why would anyone go there?

RioCan bought the building in 2007. I walked through that plaza twice every day from 1996-2001, pre-RioCan and it sucked then. It is a dead, windswept space. That's a topographical and geographical situation... not RioCan's fault, nor the previous owner's. I'm not against public space - again closing Orchard View to create new public space there has been an amazing addition to the area; let that replace that god-awful plaza on the corner.

The plaza could be greatly enhanced with benches, tables, and even large planters to serve as windbreaks. There are plenty of people who currently use it even in its decrepit state -- some attention to it would go a long way to improving its use.

^^

there are no evidences or basis of facts on which to make that assumption.

once a building is built that is higher then the typical buildings in the area , a precedent is set. it becomes easier for developers to argue that they too should be allowed to create tall buildkngs in the neighbourhood as well. There is no guarentee that more proposals would follow. however if you look historically at major transit intersections in toronto high rises are more then common. as a result it is likely that this area too will see significant vertical development.

RioCan bought the building in 2007. I walked through that plaza twice every day from 1996-2001, pre-RioCan and it sucked then. It is a dead, windswept space. That's a topographical and geographical situation... not RioCan's fault, nor the previous owner's. I'm not against public space - again closing Orchard View to create new public space there has been an amazing addition to the area; let that replace that god-awful plaza on the corner.

I agree; it was the same between 1989 and 1993 when I worked in the area.

"What a ratty block of what I consider to be one of the premier addresses in the city," says Mr. Sonshine. “We basically control the back end of the lot to Roehampton. We may try to buy the rest of [Yonge] street [to Roehampton] but the owners have all got stars in their eyes. We are having discussions with the various owners.

Stars in their eyes? lol I guess its too bad for him that they've realize their sitting on development gold.

Back