Toronto eCondos | 195.67m | 58s | Bazis | Rosario Varacalli

No, but if the purchaser did their homework into Bazis' reputation, they might have second thought about signing on the dotted line.

A home is one of the biggest, if not the biggest investment in your lifetime. It is a shame more people don't take the gravity of this fact seriously when trusting builders like Bazis.
What do the outstanding issues have to do with Bazis' reputation?
  1. Screens blocking the view: this element has been known since day one. The screens appeared in the marketing materials, as well as the model. Purchasers are in no position to now say "oh, I didn't know".
  2. Noise coming from the wind through the screens. This must have been discovered during the PDI(s). Not sure what is the legal procedure, but residents should have raised this issue at the time of PDI.

As much as I'm sympathetic to the residents of this building, I keep getting reminded with buying pre-con is a bad idea.

When I look into pre-con condos, there are quite a few factors I consider related to the actual construction but the basics are:

1. Check the Tarion site for history on the developer, or even a quick Google search to see what comes up
  2. Check previous projects by the developer, reviews & how they turned out compared to the renderings
  3. Check comments of projects by the developer on our favourite development forum
  4. Check the City of Toronto development site for the submitted documents on the actual schematics and materials to be used
  5. Check the model of the building in the sales office (if they don't have one, I don't even bother because marketing renderings are not sufficient) & I find the location of my unit in the model (floor & orientation), take pictures of the model from all angles & circle where my unit will be located
  6. Look on Google Maps and in person at the future site to see the orientation of the project in its surroundings, i.e. are the nearby buildings at risk of redevelopment & blocking my views?

If the material in the screens is not as per the development submission or as per the model, then yes, it is the builder's fault and legal action should be considered & of course there will always be risks with pre-con but if you stick with relatively reputable developers & do your homework (I mean really do your homework), buying pre-con is not a bad idea.

And of course, I can't speak for everyone but I have a feeling many buyers are just going by whatever their realtor are saying and they are not doing extensive due diligence work.

1. Screens blocking the view: this element has been known since day one. The screens appeared in the marketing materials, as well as the model. Purchasers are in no position to now say "oh, I didn't know".
  2. Noise coming from the wind through the screens. This must have been discovered during the PDI(s). Not sure what is the legal procedure, but residents should have raised this issue at the time of PDI.
As much as I'm sympathetic to the residents of this building, I keep getting reminded with buying pre-con is a bad idea.

A builder with a bad reputation cuts corners - like not properly testing cladding....

There is no hard fast rule that "buying pre-con is a bad idea". I've purchased many homes pre-con and they've been lovely homes and great investments. But I also did my research and went with very reputable developers with a lot of experience and who were focused on 'end-users' over 'investors'. This of course won't protect you completely, but it will help mitigate your risk of a crummy experience.

I'm sorry to hear about what the owners are going through. Definitely unlivable.

I'll admit - I love how this tower looks. This a great lesson in design. We often mistake something that looks good as well designed. As good as this tower looks, it's not well designed - for a lot of people views are blocked and it's creating a huge livability issue.

Hopefully they can come up with a solution that maintains the impact of the exterior while solving the major problems with the design.

I'm sorry to hear about what the owners are going through. Definitely unlivable.

I'll admit - I love how this tower looks. This a great lesson in design. We often mistake something that looks good as well designed. As good as this tower looks, it's not well designed - for a lot of people views are blocked and it's creating a huge livability issue.

Hopefully they can come up with a solution that maintains the impact of the exterior while solving the major problems with the design.
A lot of people, including tons in these forums, are way more concerned with how these condos look from the outside, completely forgetting that these are homes first. People calling for no balconies because they break up the facade. Yeah, well they also offer a small opportunity to be outside for the people who live there.

This is a perfect example of making something aesthetically pleasing from the ground, while completely ignoring the actual function. Form follows function. If it doesn't function, then the form is irrelevant. And these homes do not function.

For what it's worth, through all the renderings I always thought "who would want a balcony closed in with metal screening?" And I think the answer is armchair architecture critics.

A lot of people, including tons in these forums, are way more concerned with how these condos look from the outside, completely forgetting that these are homes first. People calling for no balconies because they break up the facade. Yeah, well they also offer a small opportunity to be outside for the people who live there.

This is a perfect example of making something aesthetically pleasing from the ground, while completely ignoring the actual function. Form follows function. If it doesn't function, then the form is irrelevant. And these homes do not function.

For what it's worth, through all the renderings I always thought "who would want a balcony closed in with metal screening?" And I think the answer is armchair architecture critics.
Well said! I live in a building that was slammed in this forum as it was being built. Glass colour, balconies looked like crap. Building 10 years out of date? The builder were a bunch of crooks and they build dog crap...etc. Fortunately I ignored those and purchased...yeah the building is not perfect, but I have zero regrets! The building looks fine, the builder did their best to ensure that issues were resolved. The PDI was virtually perfect. Plus...the builder actually owns several units to this day. But yeah, I know, like 1 Yorkville, the building looks like crap...lol

Yep, exactly. And this reminds me of a very similar example: the new Daniels school at U of T. An acquaintance of mine is an architect and she was confirming what I've read in a few papers, that though the reno is beautiful, it's completely unfunctional. The so-obvious-it-hurts irony is that this reno was for a department of architecture.

Yep, exactly. And this reminds me of a very similar example: the new Daniels school at U of T. An acquaintance of mine is an architect and she was confirming what I've read in a few papers, that though the reno is beautiful, it's completely unfunctional. The so-obvious-it-hurts irony is that this reno was for a department of architecture.
Some of the most iconic architecture is an absolute mess from a program perspective. I had this inkling of a hunch that Daniels school would end up like that...shame. But a fun irony from an outside perspective.

And let's not forget the ROM crystal. Such a tremendous waste of space.

Well said! I live in a building that was slammed in this forum as it was being built. Glass colour, balconies looked like crap. Building 10 years out of date? The builder were a bunch of crooks and they build dog crap...etc. Fortunately I ignored those and purchased...yeah the building is not perfect, but I have zero regrets! The building looks fine, the builder did their best to ensure that issues were resolved. The PDI was virtually perfect. Plus...the builder actually owns several units to this day. But yeah, I know, like 1 Yorkville, the building looks like crap...lol

I think both this building and 1 Yorkville look terrific

Back