Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

This seems to be the best project at the corner so far

I disagree. Grid has more going for it: simple, yet distinct design, the First Nations mural, and a slender profile, though I will reseve full judgement once street level is complete and the sidewalk restored. So far, DSG is too clunky, especially with the oversized podium,

Grid only has a single tiny token retail unit, meaning that its street presence is going to be lackluster at best. Additionally, I find the architecture to be eye-catching but still messy and unorganized without a clear design language. Material selection is good, but not great. The Juliet balconies bother me. The mural is great however.

This building has better material selections, and some great activating street level uses, but is hulkingly huge. It overpowers the intersection if you ask me.

I appreciate PACE too - some high quality retail space (even if it is filled with some rather boring tenants), pretty solid material selection, at least on the podium levels, and a nice general built form.

I have to say that all three buildings have been solid additions to the city, none have really left anything fully lacking, but they all have their own issues too.

As has been said before, this building is way too overpowering for the intersection. I wish they gave a bit more room to breathe with some sort of corner plaza like at the E Condos site. Yet, I’ll say that the execution here (especially at street level) is still much better than its twin Peter Condos in the entertainment district. The projects east of yonge are somehow delivering a more refreshing product than elsewhere in the city.

This project is turning out better than I thought it would ever turn out!

And the units were dirt cheap when the project first launched. Shoulda bought something here. I frankly did not have high expectations for this one. I pass by Peter Condos every day. There is no room to walk on Peter St. Constantly bump into people coming out of that condo. Such a tight squeeze.

As has been said before, this building is way too overpowering for the intersection. I wish they gave a bit more room to breathe with some sort of corner plaza like at the E Condos site. Yet, I’ll say that the execution here (especially at street level) is still much better than its twin Peter Condos in the entertainment district. The projects east of yonge are somehow delivering a more refreshing product than elsewhere in the city.

What *are* you talking about?

Now you've done it, the aA fanboy alarm probably just went off like crazy.

(you're right, by the way... but some people like sterile soulless street-level design)

Today from Riverdale Park. Also visible: Massey Tower (left, with crane), Grid Condos ( immediate left), and Daphne Cockwell Centre (right)

P1000442.JPG

Back