Toronto Dundas Square Gardens | 156.05m | 50s | Gupta | IBI Group

the best part about this building is that it looks onto Grid. From afar, Dundas Square Gardens plays off Grid well, but damn, from up close it's nauseating

Childhood nostalgia

the best part about this building is that it looks onto Grid. From afar, Dundas Square Gardens plays off Grid well, but damn, from up close it's nauseating
I don't think this mess looks good from any distance, let alone any angle. If anything, DSG is what's holding the Grid back from really shining.

I think you have your priorities messed up. Given a choice between a wrap-around balcony at Dundas Square vs. no (or tiny 80 sq ft Juliet balcony) balcony in Grid, majority of people would opt for Dundas Square Gardens, even pay a premium for it. Majority of units in both these apartments are small (in fact, tiny). Given that, a nearly 280-300 square feet balcony addition on top of 650-750 square feet of condo space makes the Dundas Square Gardens much more livable. Moreover, the covered balcony space in Grid allows the developers to include the area in the apartment square feet pricing, which is a joke. Dundas Square Gardens is a much better investment that way.

As per aesthetics of the buildings for outsiders -- who cares. Most Toronto buildings are ugly to look at. And many of those that are even slightly better looking have tonnes of issues including rattling noises, poor construction and so on. Most dwellers would trade livable over boring any day.

I don't think this mess looks good from any distance, let alone any angle. If anything, DSG is what's holding the Grid back from really shining.

Last edited:
I think you have your priorities messed up. Given a choice between a wrap-around balcony at Dundas Square vs. no (or tiny 80 sq ft Juliet balcony) balcony in Grid, majority of people would opt for Dundas Square Gardens, even pay a premium for it. Majority of units in both these apartments are small (in fact, tiny). Given that, a nearly 280-300 square feet balcony addition on top of 650-750 square feet of condo space makes the Dundas Square Gardens much more livable. Moreover, the covered balcony space in Grid allows the developers to include the area in the apartment square feet pricing, which is a joke. Dundas Square Gardens is a much better investment that way.

As per aesthetics of the buildings for outsiders -- who cares. Most Toronto buildings are ugly to look at. And many of those that are even slightly better looking have tonnes of issues including rattling noises, poor construction and so on. Most dwellers would trade livable over boring any day.
I don't think this type of generalization is very constructive. Plus, you missed my point. My observation wasn't around "liveability", I was simply commenting on the exterior ascetics of the two buildings. Which is what this thread is for. So you know for next time, real estate comments are for the real estate thread.

Side note - I'm an owner, and I'd pick a balcony-less Grid unit over DSG any day of the week. I take pride in what the outside of my home looks like. And I assume I'm not the only one.

I don't think this type of generalization is very constructive. Plus, you missed my point. My observation wasn't around "liveability", I was simply commenting on the exterior ascetics of the two buildings. Which is what this thread is for. So you know for next time, real estate comments are for the real estate thread.

Side note - I'm an owner, and I'd pick a balcony-less Grid unit over DSG any day of the week. I take pride in what the outside of my home looks like. And I assume I'm not the only one.
The threads in the Buildings Forum are not restricted to exterior aesthetics, it's just that the Real Estate threads are meant for the concerns of actual and potential unit purchasers.

The ugly to look at is overblown. I don't think any of these buildings are ugly to look at.

Not architecturally stunning by any means, but to the layman they are shiny new glass highrises that lend a modern feel to the cityscape.

The ugly to look at is overblown. I don't think any of these buildings are ugly to look at.

Not architecturally stunning by any means, but to the layman they are shiny new glass highrises that lend a modern feel to the cityscape.
Agreed, not a masterpiece but I certainly wouldn't label it ugly. It's a fine filler and I personally like the look of it. The only missed opportunity that jumps out to me is the clear balcony glass. Could look better with white fritted panes.

I guess we can agree to disagree. My point was not everyone trades off exterior aesthetics over interior spaces, especially when most new condos are getting miniature. 400 Square feet is your typical "undergrad studio" these days, and most new condos would pack 2 bedrooms in 600-800 square feet, some even 3-bedrooms. Grid is, in fact, a more cramped building with 1 bedroom at merely 440 sq ft and 2 bedrooms 640 sq ft. That's quite small. While it's not that the other building is any bigger, at least it compensates with some exterior space.

Back