Toronto Drake Hotel Expansion | 18.9m | 5s | Diamond Schmitt

I don't care for it. Way too messy, especially with new windows overlapping old ones. I can't wait for the randomly assorted windows trend to die already.
I like the mess, or as The Drake would no doubt see it, the eclectic makeup of the exterior which expresses the Bohemian spirit that their brand is built on. It's not beautiful, but it's a playful mixture of the local prim Victorian vernacular with modern freedoms, with a built-in patina calculated to mark the passage of time. These windows are randomized to a degree employed rarely in Toronto, rarely enough that I don't recognize the trend that you're claiming this to be a part of. I think they've got a distinctive, unique thing going here that fits in well with WQW and which will be memorable.

I like the mess, or as The Drake would no doubt see it, the eclectic makeup of the exterior which expresses the Bohemian spirit that their brand is built on. It's not beautiful, but it's a playful mixture of the local prim Victorian vernacular with modern freedoms, with a built-in patina calculated to mark the passage of time. These windows are randomized to a degree employed rarely in Toronto, rarely enough that I don't recognize the trend that you're claiming this to be a part of. I think they've got a distinctive, unique thing going here that fits in well with WQW and which will be memorable.

It's not super common in Toronto, but it annoys me whenever I see it as it's a lazy attempt to make an otherwise dull design 'dynamic'. I've seen it on quite a few SFH builds and larger projects like University Place.

That being said, there are successful applications of this style. OCAD's Sharp Centre and Picasso being among the ones I like.

The latest of Growth to Watch For article prompted me to have a look at the AIC entry for this one, where there are resubmission materials dated early December of last year, including revised arch plans (no new renders, though). I don't notice anything dramatically different, but we do have materials and I believe elevations we haven't seen.

Nice little bit of planner shade thrown in the new cover letter lede, too:

We are pleased to resubmit for your consideration this revised set of Site Plan drawings and associated technical studies which address the third round of recirculation comments and represent our fourth design submission for this application. This process has now extended over 14 months, and it is our hope that the enclosed materials fulfill all outstanding requirements to allow for the issuance of the Notice of Approval Conditions (“NOAC”).

upload_2018-1-22_14-23-58.png

upload_2018-1-22_14-24-27.png

upload_2018-1-22_14-24-56.png

upload_2018-1-22_14-25-18.png

upload_2018-1-22_14-25-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-22_14-23-58.png
    upload_2018-1-22_14-23-58.png
    253 KB · Views: 874
  • upload_2018-1-22_14-24-27.png
    upload_2018-1-22_14-24-27.png
    334.6 KB · Views: 873
  • upload_2018-1-22_14-24-56.png
    upload_2018-1-22_14-24-56.png
    319.4 KB · Views: 857
  • upload_2018-1-22_14-25-18.png
    upload_2018-1-22_14-25-18.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 846
  • upload_2018-1-22_14-25-40.png
    upload_2018-1-22_14-25-40.png
    387.3 KB · Views: 838
Read an article today about the tension between the Drake on either side of the owner of Saigon Flower, who refuses to sell.

Read an article today about the tension between the Drake on either side of the owner of Saigon Flower, who refuses to sell.

Yes, the Drake has been trying to acquire the full block. Their expansion doesn't end at the one that's about to start. Saigon Flower got a free renovation on a TV show but I'm told by friends who live in the neighbourhood that they didn't keep it up and the place has fallen into disrepair. The area is being heavily gentrified. I don't know how much longer they can keep up with the competing restaurants and the pickier taste of the new residents of condos going up around them.

I don't know how much longer they can keep up with the competing restaurants and the pickier taste of the new residents of condos going up around them.

I order take out there and have talked to the elder lady that says she owns the bldg. and has no intentions to sell,
bldgs around there are going for 2.5-3 million, and many rents are over 5 grand a month, so the competition has more to worry about staying afloat

Yes, the Drake has been trying to acquire the full block. Their expansion doesn't end at the one that's about to start. Saigon Flower got a free renovation on a TV show but I'm told by friends who live in the neighbourhood that they didn't keep it up and the place has fallen into disrepair. The area is being heavily gentrified. I don't know how much longer they can keep up with the competing restaurants and the pickier taste of the new residents of condos going up around them.

I ate at Saigon Flower once 2 summers ago. It was rather underwhelming. Won't go back.

Application:
Demolition Folder (DM)
Permit Issued
TORONTO ON M6J 1J3
Ward 18: Davenport
Application#:
18 113596 DEM 00 DM
Issued Date:
Apr 13, 2018
Project:
Other
Work:
Demolition
Description:
Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey building for future development. See 1140 + 1142 Queen St NW.

Back