Toronto Downtown Data Centre | 38.5m | 4s | Equinix Inc | WZMH

FNTS

Member Bio
Reaction score
ˆ It seems to have just started, or at least some sort of demolition is going on at the back of the Library building today

DSC_0282.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0282.JPG
    DSC_0282.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,549
Here's the permit:

Application: Demolition Folder (DM) Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON M5A 4L2

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 16 227471 DEM 00 DM Issued Date: Oct 28, 2016

Project: Library Demolition

Description: Proposal to demolish existing 3 storey building " Toronto Public Library Service Centre"

DM Building Inspection Pt3
Inspection Shanker, Gowri

So I walked by here last night, and it's the first time I've noticed the data centre at night. It wasn't really lit in any way - it was a bit of a dark bulk. There were some stairwell windows on the side with lighting, but that's about it. Unless I just happened to catch it on a night when they were testing the lights or hydro, it seems a shame that the facade has no lighting whatsoever.

According to someone from city planning, the Breslers said that flooding had ruined the building to such an extent that film shoots and other revenue-generating activities could no longer take place there. They requested permission for a 'temporary' parking lot pending redevelopment within the next few years, but that would have required a Temporary Use By-Law or Committee of Adjustment, so Planning didn't support that proposal.

image.jpeg

I remember a thread for this but cannot find it. Though hard to tell from the street there is extensive demolition happening on the interior of the site.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,633
I remember a thread for this but cannot find it. Though hard to tell from the street there is extensive demolition happening on the interior of the site.
Not sure there is (or was?) a thread. To date any discussion seems to have been on the Data Centre thread. See http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...ata-centre-m-5s-brl-realty-wzmh.19520/page-17 Not actually sure that a thread is justified (yet) as they are hoping to turn site into another surface parking lot. (The City has said 'no' but we all know what that means...

Not actually sure that a thread is justified (yet) as they are hoping to turn site into another surface parking lot. (The City has said 'no' but we all know what that means...

That it will soon mysteriously burn down due to a "masked arsonist"?

They have demolition permits, the city just doesn't want a surface lot operating here. They prefer vacant land to encourage redevelopment as it denies landowners the revenue from a surface lot.

Back