Toronto Design Haus | 52.12m | 19s | Shiu Pong | Kirkor Architects

Feb 11, 2020

fullsizeoutput_34ee.jpeg

Jeez the construction balcony guards look better than the final product will.

Some yellow rails/glass would have looked good on this drudgery!

Why did they put the same awful grey windows, and (gasp!) spandrel on the heritage portion?!!!
Looks like they carelessly replicated the 1980’s replacement aluminum storm windows that was last there. The bottom row of divided window lights reminds me of the 80’s era sliding windows (in this case they are fixed) which is not fitting with the true character of the building. The profile and colour are inappropriate. What a real shame.

There really is a Borg-like aspect to the way now some developments are less.... buildings but more like spandrel growths.

It's very unsettling and truly dystopic even for a city that is so used to hostile buildings, but these new types of monstrosities will leave quite an aesthetic signature on the city of our future. What will architectural historians of the future call this style I wonder. Will some come to love them and rally around saving examples of this fledgling new form? And then a Post Borgism movement. Our future unfurls before us.

There really is a Borg-like aspect to the way now some developments are less.... buildings but more like spandrel growths.

It's very unsettling and truly dystopic even for a city that is so used to hostile buildings, but these new types of monstrosities will leave quite an aesthetic signature on the city of our future. What will architectural historians of the future call this style I wonder. Will some come to love them and rally around saving examples of this fledgling new form? And then a Post Borgism movement. Our future unfurls before us.

If fake facadism + gray spandrels + mullions prevail, future historians may well call the style the ‘Toronto school of architecture’.

That poor, poor, "heritage" facade. It's as if it's being possessed by another being (a demogorgon from Stranger Things specifically) and is but an empty shell of its former self.

Back