Hamilton Delta Secondary Redevelopment | 50m | 14s | New Horizon | Graziani + Corazza

Branden Simon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Redevelopment of Delta Secondary School.
New Horizon Development Group is proposing to build four mid-rise buildings and six blocks of townhouses on the rear portion of the Delta Secondary School site and to retrofit the heritage-designated former high school building for residential use.

The building’s heritage designation includes protection of its Modern Gothic style architecture that “ boasts handsome building elevations in Milton red rug brick and Tyndall limestone – the first such use of this stone building material in Hamilton and one of the first instances of its use in Ontario.”

708 residential units are envisioned in this early conceptual proposal.

583 units are proposed in two 14-storey residential buildings and two 11-story buildings behind the existing former school building. 51 three-storey townhouses are proposed along Graham Avenue, Maple Avenue, and Wexford Avenue.

The Delta Secondary buildings will contain 74 units.

858 vehicle parking spaces are proposed, of which 756 will be underground. 366 long-term bicycle parking spaces are pitched, as well as 30 short-term bicycling parking spots.

7249882C-F806-4D83-8A86-66E105ED5BF0.jpeg
9B637F60-D604-4DE6-887B-9E04AB4BEF65.jpeg
4470D4C3-FB71-4B12-9CDE-74569A9FBF29.jpeg
F2BF87C9-5E30-441E-95B1-07C4D038B76E.jpeg

This is hot, if you can call a condo complex that, but I really feel for all those people living on those quiet streets. I'm always an advocate for intensification but that's a seriously huge complex essentially in the middle of a suburban neighbourhood by Hamilton standards. With half of Hamilton's downtown still parking lots I think developers should be focusing on densification there for at least a few more years

It's literally right next to the Hamilton LRT and the mid-rises meet all the angular plane requirements from residential properties, I think it's fine. If we are concerned about transition, perhaps drop the 4-storey townhouses to 3-storeys.

This is also close to Ottawa Street, an up and coming retail street in the city's east end. It's a relatively desirable location by Hamilton standards.

What I would like to see is the front lawn areas become a public park (this would be a win for the developer as well as it gets them out of parkland cash-in-lieu payments for land they aren't planning on using anyway). Some sort of commercial or community use somewhere would also be good, perhaps even something like a day care and a small retail unit to house a cafe or convenience store or something.

I quite like the proposal. Still, I expect community opposition, particularly due to the lack of community use/space of the old high school building.

Last edited:
It's literally right next to the Hamilton LRT and the mid-rises meet all the angular plane requirements from residential properties, I think it's fine. If we are concerned about transition, perhaps drop the 4-storey townhouses to 3-storeys.

This is also close to Ottawa Street, an up and coming retail street in the city's east end. It's a relatively desirable location by Hamilton standards.

What I would like to see is the front lawn areas become a public park (this would be a win for the developer as well as it gets them out of parkland cash-in-lieu payments for land they aren't planning on using anyway). Some sort of commercial or community use somewhere would also be good, perhaps even something like a day care and a small retail unit to house a cafe or convenience store or something.
Those are good points. If it was up to me I'd add retail too, it's always great to see little one-off service places like you mentioned. It's also a really good opportunity for small businesses to gain a dependable customer base

this is so flawed. the design is nice but it's right next to the LRT so i can't understand the parking situation. We boast about the need to intensify but you can't keep intensifying with this car focus. 708 units and 858 parking spots and only 366 bike parking? that's ridiculous. i hope they cut the parking and up the bike spots. This is a great spot for intensification otherwise.

Open House for Delta Secondary School is scheduled on March 7, 2023 from 5-8pm. Company reps will be on site to answer any questions and hear concerns. Entrance on Graham Street into the open house.

This notice was printed in today's Spec. Does this mean the City is sticking to its all-along stated intention to have the developer preserve the existing wings of the former school, sending the developer back to the drawing board for what will result in a more modest density?

To the previous question, my understanding is that the auditorium is also heritage protected, yes.

1700336426071.png

I haven't heard of any updates to the plans for this one, but I would expect we see a revised proposal that honours the heritage requirements of the existing building. In the meantime, here's a "before" aerial photo.

431554675_1385174762171755_4040876806225643308_n.jpg

Back