Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

the circle is being completed around the corner. If this is not a kind of art at city scale I don’t know what is

does anyone know why spandrel is always chosen in the drabbest colour? With the amount of it on this one, if they had picked a bright yellow or red, at least it would have popped. The towers (and their beige) have absolutely no relation to the "city of the arts" moniker (which i know has to do with George Brown leasing space in the podium)
On clear days, the spandrels look brownish - somewhat similar to the cladding on the office buildings. Or maybe they just went for whatever was on sale ?

The facade sides with the circular fritted balcony guards aren't bad, but they're not great either. I think these buildings would've been more successful if they were like Casa 2 and 3 with the circular frit balcony glass around the entirety of the towers. They still wouldn't be the best, but it'd be a step up.

Imagine this with multi coloured spandrels. Can we say tacky? While this taupe shade may not be my first choice, the fact that it departed from the usual blue/ green spandrel that we see everywhere else on our skyline and brings a warmth to the cool colours of the balconies is enough contrast for me!

Contrast? Take a look at the window wall - it barely provided any contrast to the grey mullions, of which there is an excessive amount of. There are far better executed examples of window walls in the city (like Teahouse, for example) that doesn't look like a dog's breakfast.

AoD

Contrast? Take a look at the window wall - it barely provided any contrast to the grey mullions, of which there is an excessive amount of. There are far better executed examples of window walls in the city (like Teahouse, for example) that doesn't look like a dog's breakfast.

AoD
My point is this building is not featuring the spandrel. Would it look better if it is black mullion with black spandrel so that it looks like one giant black mass and the million disappears like garrison? Maybe? But I don’t know about a black 45 storey building. With regards to mullion spacing and amount of spandrel, you can control all you want on the outside, at the end of the day, it is all about the layout inside. Small unit layouts have more mullions than larger units. Maximum glass panel width for window walls is 5’, amount of spandrel is required by Toronto green standard (+-50%). I’ve seen AA designed units where they jog the wall to match equally spaced mullions on the outside, people living in it hates it.

My point is this building is not featuring the spandrel. Would it look better if it is black mullion with black spandrel so that it looks like one giant black mass and the million disappears like garrison? Maybe? But I don’t know about a black 45 storey building. With regards to mullion spacing and amount of spandrel, you can control all you want on the outside, at the end of the day, it is all about the layout inside. Small unit layouts have more mullions than larger units. Maximum glass panel width for window walls is 5’, amount of spandrel is required by Toronto green standard (+-50%). I’ve seen AA designed units where they jog the wall to match equally spaced mullions on the outside, people living in it hates it.

Sorry, whether it is "featuring" the spandrel or not isn't the point - it is there for all to see, pretending that it isn't the feature doesn't negate that. And you just changed the subject - which is:

Imagine this with multi coloured spandrels. Can we say tacky? While this taupe shade may not be my first choice, the fact that it departed from the usual blue/ green spandrel that we see everywhere else on our skyline and brings a warmth to the cool colours of the balconies is enough contrast for me!

It didn't add any warmth - what it added is a mess of a building to our skyline. Right now it couldn't even made tacky (sic "the artwork") - it looks *cheap*.

AoD

Last edited:

Back