Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

This is just about the worst advertisement for Daniels. Even Wallman was smart enough to put their offices in one of their best buildings (Tableau). Daniels on the other hand, preferring to save their best projects for places like Erin Mills, decides to include their head office in a project whose residential towers could very well be one of the worst (if not THE worst) waterfront builds of this cycle.

It's visibility screams to all Torontonians, all visitors, all potential clients, "We are completely out of ideas, but if you have one, we will value engineer the life out of it so that it resembles a flimsy cardboard box!"

All the waterfront buildings are like calling cards. Safdie/Great Gulf"s Monde says, "We build quality." Pinnacle hiring HP on One Younge indicates they are about to do the same. Daniels is well on it's way towards accomplishing the opposite. I am open to the possibility that the circular frit pattern may redeem the design somewhat under certain lighting conditions, but I am equally open to the possibility that standing beside Monde and One Younge it will come off as a cheap, well worn slight of hand that fools nobody.

My note on the bold: it seems like the interior of Monde is leaving some buyers a lot of heartache. Of course, judging solely on exterior, Monde is definitely very photogenic.

It really is too bad that Daniel's cheaped out so much on these Waterfront towers; even most of their Regent Park builds are more interesting.

My note on the bold: it seems like the interior of Monde is leaving some buyers a lot of heartache. Of course, judging solely on exterior, Monde is definitely very photogenic.

It really is too bad that Daniel's cheaped out so much on these Waterfront towers; even most of their Regent Park builds are more interesting.

What's the issue with the Monde interiors?

Agreed on the Regent Park comment. ..I went by the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's not great but far more interesting visually. I'm holding my breath and hoping that the balconies save this.

What's the issue with the Monde interiors?

Agreed on the Regent Park comment. ..I went by the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's not great but far more interesting visually. I'm holding my breath and hoping that the balconies save this.

Given how the balconies have turned out - I fear that hope might be misplaced.

AoD

Interiors are another issue. Daniels Waterfront may very well surpass Monde on this front. As a purchaser personally this would be my priority and one would hope anyone laying down hundreds of thousands of dollars for a unit would be entering the contract with eyes wide open.

My sympathies however extend to purchasers who buy into buildings with structural issues (as in the case of the Opal Tower in Sydney, Australia)
, compliance issues (such as improper or inadequate sound insulation between units), unforeseen events (such as the sound pollution created by the metal balcony scrims at E Condos) or bait and switch designs that entice buyers but blatantly fail to deliver.

My comment was directed at the thousands of people who put up with blocked sidewalks and roads, detours, congestion, construction noise outside of normal business hours and inadequate infrastructure. What's in it for them?

Design is a quality of life issue from the skyline down to street level. How depressing it must be that Tornotonians are expected to make these sacrifices only to have these second rate developers construct soulless additions to the city that add very little to the lives of those who must put up with these inconveniences on a daily basis.

Interiors are another issue. Daniels Waterfront may very well surpass Monde on this front. As a purchaser personally this would be my priority and one would hope anyone laying down hundreds of thousands of dollars for a unit would be entering the contract with eyes wide open.

Still not clear on the issue with the interiors at Monde? Are things falling apart or did they cheap out on the features?

From June 30, 2019:

IMG_20190630_190212-02.jpeg

This could have been saved if they used cleaner cladding. The bulky grey mullions don't work well with the fritted glass balconies. Also, don't even like the pattern of the fritted glass. Could have just made the entire balcony glass fritted and it would have looked better. Developers relying heavily on balconies to add some "flair" to an otherwise boring, lifeless, glass box design.

Back