Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

I live close by and walk down there often, and the smell does not bother me that much - even on the really strong days. As with the folks of the upcoming Sugar Wharf, I hope everyone gets used to the smell. I honestly don't mind Red Path there.

Only in Toronto would an ugly old sugar refinery sitting on prime waterfront real estate be considered special enough to stick around, despite everything around it changing drastically. I guess I'm not shocked though.

Only in Toronto would an ugly old sugar refinery sitting on prime waterfront real estate be considered special enough to stick around, despite everything around it changing drastically. I guess I'm not shocked though.

The city isn't keep it there for anything other than the jobs and tax revenues.

The city isn't keep it there for anything other than the jobs and tax revenues.
I was hoping they'd also be keeping it around so we could watch the cool ships unload next to Sugar Beach. It's really the juxtaposition of the recreational and industrial that makes Sugar Beach work.

Seriously, I don't understand the complaints here. I will say, however, that with all the increased residential to the east of the refinery, I would really like it if Redpath made its pedestrian realm more appealing -- walking that stretch from Sugar Beach to the west is not very pleasant currently.

No, it's why they need to spend a little to make the pedestrian realm more appealing.

I'm a huge fan of having the refinery there, and watching the ships unload next to Sugar Beach. I don't see any reason that it has to be replaced with yet more nondescript condos.

Completely agree, post-industrial can be boring. Ships are very cool.
Related note, crossing railway pedestrian overpass, was thinking if they build a park over it, it better be more than some expanse of grass because the energy, vitality, and purpose symbolized by Rail is very cool. It's no longer true that the tracls block access to the waterfront.

No, it's why they need to spend a little to make the pedestrian realm more appealing.

I'm a huge fan of having the refinery there, and watching the ships unload next to Sugar Beach. I don't see any reason that it has to be replaced with yet more nondescript condos.

Yes because this just looks so lovely right by the waterfront.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 6.58.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-28 at 6.58.03 PM.png
    927.9 KB · Views: 407
Yes because this just looks so lovely right by the waterfront.

The streetscape can definitely be improved along this stretch of Queens Quay but the sugar refinery is one of the most visually interesting things along the waterfront. No need for it to be replaced with more condos or "waterfront innovation centres".

The streetscape can definitely be improved along this stretch of Queens Quay but the sugar refinery is one of the most visually interesting things along the waterfront. No need for it to be replaced with more condos or "waterfront innovation centres".

As i said earlier, I'm not shocked people like this, because this is the same city where people get attached to glorified dollar stores and ugly neon signs, just because they're a few decades old, and apparently worth keeping around. Except this time it makes even less sense because at the end of the day it ultimately is a just huge shabby industrial building, that is all.

As i said earlier, I'm not shocked people like this, because this is the same city where people get attached to glorified dollar stores and ugly neon signs, just because they're a few decades old, and apparently worth keeping around. Except this time it makes even less sense because at the end of the day it ultimately is a just huge shabby industrial building, that is all.
I think you're setting up a bit of a straw man here. Nobody's saying the building is worth saving for its architecture or heritage -- it's the use itself that's worth keeping in the city, at least as long as Redpath wants to stay there. The sugar refinery is one of the last gritty pieces of a waterfront that has lost nearly all its grit. And watching the freighters being unloaded from Sugar Beach is a great show, something you can't see anywhere else. The architecture isn't spectacular and the public realm needs some work, but it's something interesting and different in an area trending toward homogeneity. I'm not in any hurry to see it go.

I think you're setting up a bit of a straw man here. Nobody's saying the building is worth saving for its architecture or heritage -- it's the use itself that's worth keeping in the city, at least as long as Redpath wants to stay there. The sugar refinery is one of the last gritty pieces of a waterfront that has lost nearly all its grit. And watching the freighters being unloaded from Sugar Beach is a great show, something you can't see anywhere else. The architecture isn't spectacular and the public realm needs some work, but it's something interesting and different in an area trending toward homogeneity. I'm not in any hurry to see it go.

So basically it should stay because a few people like seeing the boats being unloaded and because everything else around it is “homogenous”.

Back