Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

I agree that the Redpath sugar plant will disappear eventually (probably in 5-10 years when the area is fully developed and it's the last development opportunity...as mentioned, it'll net them a fortune). However, I'll be sad when it goes. I agree with the comment that it adds character. It provides something unique. Once the Redpath plant goes it'll just be replaced by more condos (it's privately-owned land so far as I know, so no chance the city turns it into a big park or opera house or something). Plus it's pretty cool to sit at Sugar Beach when there's a ship there.

The one thing I wish is that they'd take down the crappy fence and replace it with something that allows for art/design. Hell, just do a white wall and let people spray paint it or whatever. It would cost virtually nothing but really make it look nice - I think when people complain about the plant they're really complaining about its frontage to Queens Quay East, not the actual plant.

Last edited:
I agree that the Redpath sugar plant will disappear eventually (probably in 5-10 years when the area is fully developed and it's the last development opportunity...as mentioned, it'll net them a fortune). However, I'll be sad when it goes. I agree with the comment that it adds character. It provides something unique. Once the Redpath plant goes it'll just be replaced by more condos (it's privately-owned land so far as I know, so no chance the city turns it into a big park of opera house or something). Plus it's pretty cool to sit at Sugar Beach when there's a ship there.

The one thing I wish is that they'd take down the crappy fence and replace it with something that allows for art/design. Hell, just do a white wall and let people spray paint it or whatever. It would cost virtually nothing but really make it look nice - I think when people complain about the plant they're really complaining about its frontage to Queens Quay East, not the actual plant.

Not that I am advocating getting rid of Redpath at all - but it going will present the opportunity to connect and complete the water edge promenade along EBF.

AoD

Disappointed they're not doing Doors Open this year! Last time I went to go see it I found out they were only doing it the day before.

Yes, Redpath would be an interesting place to explore. I wasn't aware they were part of Doors Open. Are they often?

One shot from our DO visit 2017.

18893089_10209418415804058_7401387110902630802_n.jpg

I think there would be lots of interesting options available with the Redpath site.

I wonder if they would be able to build right up to the property line on the west side of the site, since Pier 27's eastern property line is lined with that protective wall with no windows.

Back