Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Personally, my comments about the Guv being rubbish had nothing to do with the music therein, and everything to do with the venue: terrible sound quality, poor sightlines, etc.

We should encourage a variety of venues of this sort, or as noted we will become quite boring.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

To haul this back on track: it would be interesting if Daniels' offices moved here. Coupled with more residences it might help kickstart the area. As much promise as there is down here, there's no critical mass. GBC, Corus, Sherbourne Common and Sugar Beach feel marooned.

If I was a potential *typical* buyer in this area ... example the Monde / East Bayfront ... and I wasn't under the age of 25 or what not ... this would be a big plus for me !

I say this not because one less club in the area is a good thing ... but this particular club is notorious for violence / shootings / stabbings are NOT a rare occurrence here !

Yes you can argue the majority if not all are not random, and always involve some dispute at the club ... meaning potential residents shouldn't worry ... I'm sure they do ...

I've happily attended acts at the Government (Kool Haus more like) over the years but you couldn't pay me to live near the thing.

Having it gone will make the area much more appealing to future residents. There's no reason to have venues of this kind in these types of premium locations anyway.

I've happily attended acts at the Government (Kool Haus more like) over the years but you couldn't pay me to live near the thing.

Having it gone will make the area much more appealing to future residents. There's no reason to have venues of this kind in these types of premium locations anyway.

Right exactly !

This is a big plus for the future development of this area ... its as simple as that ...

I've never been to the Government proper but I attended many, many shows at the Warehouse in the mid 90s, and later the Kool Haus in the early 2000s, and I have fond memories of them. But the simple fact about the death of the Government and "clubland" to the west is that these clubs ended up where they were for a simple reason: because they were far away from everything else. Back in the 80s and early 90s downtown was a bit of wasteland after dark and the city was happy to some sort of use for the areas. But 20 to 30 years later that formula has fundamentally changed, and instead of being isolated in the middle of empty industrial areas, these clubs find themselves in the middle of busy residential and commercial areas.

I think in many ways the types of places that 20-somethings hang out at have changed, anyway: instead of vast warehouses, people hit Ossington or Queen West and eat and drink at small restaurants and hole-in-the-wall bars. It's not better or worse, just different. The same thing is happening in New York. The plus side is that small places like that integrate better into mixed-use neighbourhoods. Small business owners more often live in the area and have more of an intimate relationship with their customers and more control over what goes on inside and outside their doors.

Regardless of what kind of music you like, nobody really wants to live in the immediate vicinity of a huge club or music venue that attracts thousands of young people who are looking to get drunk/stoned, escape from reality and give the rest of the world the finger. That sounds kind of romantic in an abstract way unless they're hooting and fighting outside your window at 2am and leaving piles of puke for you to dodge on your way to work every morning.

Last edited:
I think in many ways the types of places that 20-somethings hang out at have changed, anyway: instead of vast warehouses, people hit Ossington or Queen West and eat and drink at small restaurants and hole-in-the-wall bars. It's not better or worse, just different.

What do you need a warehouse full of people for, when all you do in the club is poke at your phone?

It's amazing how long this place has survived in an industry where clubs are born and die rather quickly. I've been clubbing since the mid 90's, and Guvernment has been around since then. I've been to Koolhaus/Warehouse for a few shows over the years (and yes the venue sucks), but never been to the Guvernment for clubbing purposes - it had a shitty reputation for having a thuggy, violent-prone crowd back then and it still does today, so I don't think I've missed out.

As for it being redeveloped - it's a good thing. A sprawling, one storey bunker is no longer appropriate for this prime location. Bring on massive towers! I'm a bit nervous about it being Daniels though, since they're very hit and miss. A lot of their MCC buildings are crap, but their Regent Park stuff is pretty solid.

Last edited:
You'd have to hope that there'd be a pretty high level of scrutiny on whatever they do put forward. So I'm cautiously optimistic, since the Regent Park stuff looks pretty fantastic

It's amazing how long this place has survived in an industry where clubs are born and die rather quickly. I've been clubbing since the mid 90's, and Guvernment has been around since then. I've been to Koolhaus/Warehouse for a few shows over the years (and yes the venue sucks), but never been to the Guvernment for clubbing purposes - it had a shitty reputation for having a thuggy, violent-prone crowd back then and it still does today, so I don't think I've missed out.

As for it being redeveloped - it's a good thing. A sprawling, one storey bunker is no longer appropriate for this prime location. Bring on massive towers! I'm a bit nervous about it being Daniels though, since they're very hit and miss. A lot of their MCC buildings are crap, but their Regent Park stuff is pretty solid.

I agree.

While it doesn't really affect me at this point, in some odd way it's kind of sad to see the last of those 90s/early 00s clubs I remember finally bite the dust.

The big clubs should move out to suburbia to be closer to their bread-and-butter clientele. There must be a dead mall or an abandoned Zellers that could be converted quite easily.

The big clubs should move out to suburbia to be closer to their bread-and-butter clientele. There must be a dead mall or an abandoned Zellers that could be converted quite easily.

There's still a place for clubs, even the larger ones in the city. I think there'd be something wrong if they city didn't have any of them.

Honeydale mall! Actually, I think that massive industrial area in Etobicoke between Dundas and the Queensway, and Islington to the 427 might be a prime location...

Back