Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Nov 8th 2019
C6C58402-14B4-4E38-A4D5-36E572A499B0.jpeg

does anyone know why spandrel is always chosen in the drabbest colour? With the amount of it on this one, if they had picked a bright yellow or red, at least it would have popped. The towers (and their beige) have absolutely no relation to the "city of the arts" moniker (which i know has to do with George Brown leasing space in the podium)

does anyone know why spandrel is always chosen in the drabbest colour? With the amount of it on this one, if they had picked a bright yellow or red, at least it would have popped. The towers (and their beige) have absolutely no relation to the "city of the arts" moniker (which i know has to do with George Brown leasing space in the podium)
A very good question! The office part of this complex and the surrounding 'landscaping' are fine and it is really unfortunate that the towers are (to be kind) boring. Daniels obviously know you can buy coloured spandrel as they have done so in their Regent Park buildings - why they went bland here is a mystery.

A very good question! The office part of this complex and the surrounding 'landscaping' are fine and it is really unfortunate that the towers are (to be kind) boring. Daniels obviously know you can buy coloured spandrel as they have done so in their Regent Park buildings - why they went bland here is a mystery.
Money. They said they would concentrate on the street level design stuff and the results back them up - sad result at this location as many agree.

It’s clear that the spandrel colour is not suppose to be the focus here but the circular patterned balconies that makes the entire building a billboard. There was a previous comment here that says the patterned balconies in certain light looks super busy already, imagine that with different colour spandrel.

Money. They said they would concentrate on the street level design stuff and the results back them up - sad result at this location as many agree.
Imagine this with multi coloured spandrels. Can we say tacky? While this taupe shade may not be my first choice, the fact that it departed from the usual blue/ green spandrel that we see everywhere else on our skyline and brings a warmth to the cool colours of the balconies is enough contrast for me!

Attachments

• FDE378C4-1E7E-4CD8-A86A-49E9AAE90594.jpeg
    FDE378C4-1E7E-4CD8-A86A-49E9AAE90594.jpeg
    275.5 KB · Views: 323
It’s clear that the spandrel colour is not suppose to be the focus here but the circular patterned balconies that makes the entire building a billboard. There was a previous comment here that says the patterned balconies in certain light looks super busy already, imagine that with different colour spandrel.
The balcony pattern is fine (though I wonder if it will be maintained as glass needs to be replaced) if you are on that side of the building - there are no patterns on 3 of the 4 sides of the west tower and , I think, none at all on the east one. Certainly I don't see them from my vantage-point looking south!

The balcony pattern is fine (though I wonder if it will be maintained as glass needs to be replaced) if you are on that side of the building - there are no patterns on 3 of the 4 sides of the west tower and , I think, none at all on the east one. Certainly I don't see them from my vantage-point looking south!
On the west tower, it’s on south and west side. On the east tower, the perforated balconies is on the north and east side. The two towers are composed with and decorated side and a “naked” side and are viewed as a pair.

Back