Toronto Daniels Waterfront - City of the Arts | 156.05m | 45s | Daniels | RAW Design

Crazy amount of piling on here, which I'll attribute to November blues. Daniels has contributed to the city in many ways. The south facing building and the arts space is excellent. The tower is hard to judge, but is at least average. And, as someone said, not all retail can be curated. Maybe they identified a shortage of low-cost fast food in the area? That's fine.

"At least average" doesn't cut it.

If the final version look the same as the one in the presentation, it is totally fine to me and I actually like it, beauty of simplicity.

DSC_0006_1.JPG
DSC_0007_2.JPG
DSC_0008_1.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG

If the final version look the same as the one in the presentation, it is totally fine to me and I actually like it, beauty of simplicity.

The finished product is looking very close to the model, however this is the extent of our agreement. Cheap looking and poorly planned window wall full of mullions does not equate to "simplicity". In fact, it is quite the opposite.

A real shame considering the excellent work they did to the immediate south.

Last edited:
Cheap looking and poorly planned window wall full of mullions does not equate to "simplicity"

I don't have problem with it at all. Definition of simplicity is differ from person to person. I actually like it !!

"At least average" doesn't cut it.

Having already agreed the south building is well above average, you want every building to be above average? That's hard to do, mathematically.
As Jordan Peterson would say, clean your room before you tear everything else down :)

Or as I would say, it would be great if Daniels, who have bestowed millions on a school of architecture school in this backwater, would then respect architects just enough that their training wasn't then mocked by having their work wrapped in the cheapest, tackiest cladding available for bulk purchase.

There's also a difference between elegant simplicity (hello, Mies) and atrocious simplicity. I'm generally a less-is-more kinda guy in terms of my architectural preferences, but this is most certainly not a representation of that; it's just shit.

Aesthetic quality and the state of sales are almost completely unrelated.

I personally disagree, buyers saw the models in the presentation center and they signed and sealed the deal. And, there are "hundreds" of buyers see things differently. Would you buy a car that look like a piece of shxt ?

I personally disagree, buyers saw the models in the presentation center and they signed and sealed the deal. And, there are "hundreds" of buyers see things differently.

You're assuming you know the motives behind purchasers; every ugly building you see in the city, by definition, had sufficient sales to be built, but that doesn't mean every purchaser thought the building was pretty (or even cared to think about it).

I personally disagree, buyers saw the models in the presentation center and they signed and sealed the deal. And, there are "hundreds" of buyers see things differently. Would you buy a car that look like a piece of shxt ?
Question, are you a real estate agent or a purchaser in this development? I am only asking because your argument lacks architectural or urban planning credibility, which is the bases of this forum, not defining success on sales.

Back