Toronto No7 Rosedale | 16.76m | 4s | Platinum Vista | Hariri Pontarini

This is the most frustrating bit from the petition: "Rosedale is designated as a heritage conservation district under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act. As such, merging of single family lots to build condominiums must not be allowed."

It's particularly amusing since the vast majority of those homes have been altered beyond historical recognition. This sort of intensification will only make their lots more valuable... I guess they don't need the money though :p

1. A huge thank YOU to South Rosedale Residents Association (SRRA) AND North Rosedale Residents Association (NRRA) for supporting us! We've been communicating with both Associations and they each issued a public statement just days ago. Attached is SRRA's Statement of Principles issued on November 10th. Also attached is NRRA's letter of support that was recently approved by their Board.

2. You should have received in your mail the notice for the Toronto Community Consultation Meeting - Planning application for 5, 7 and 9 Dale Avenue. Attached is a copy of the notice. It's being held onTuesday, November 22nd 7 to 9 PM at Parish Hall, St. Simon the Apostle Anglican Church, 525 Bloor Street East. PLEASE attend to show and voice your objection to the proposed development...this meeting is IMPORTANT. In attendance will be our Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, Kevin Friedrich, City Planner and the Developer.

3. Representatives of MyRosedaleNeighbourhood met with the Developer on November 7th with SRRA Directors. We expressed our objection to the proposed development as outlined in the petition. After a robust conversation on issues to be resolved (outlined in the City of Toronto Preliminary Report - Official Plan Amendment and Zoning Amendment Applications), we stated to the Developer they need to adhere to the existing zoning by-laws, heritage preservation, ravine control and tree preservation. Under the current zoning by-law, the properties are zoned R1 with a height limit of 10 metres and a maximum density of 0.6 times the area of the lot. The R1 zoning category allows for detached homes only. The proposed plan includes an excessive height of 16.1 metres and a floor space density index of 2.0 times the area of the lot more than 3x the allowed density.

A zoning by-law amendment application is required for the proposed apartment building. An official plan amendment application is also required to allow rear ground floor terraces to encroach into the required 10 metre setback from the top of bank of the ravine.

At the end of the meeting, the architect offered to draw a charette in line with the current rules (detached houses, density, height, setbacks and building depths) and South Rosedale heritage design. We didn't hear the Developer give the "go ahead" to the architect so we're not sure if this drawing will be forthcoming or not.

4. The Awareness Campaign continues to grow and strengthen. The lawn signs were a big success and resulted in growing numbers signing the petition, emailing and phoning in their support. We're up to 260+ names!!

Attachments

• NRRA Letter of Support.pdf
    120.1 KB · Views: 854
  • FINAL VERSION SRRA Dale Statement of Principles (1).pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 553
  • 5-9 Dale Ave Community Meeting Notice.pdf
    140.9 KB · Views: 555
Had a good chuckle at this tweet:

IMG_7798.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_7798.PNG
    IMG_7798.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,459
The Awareness Campaign continues to grow and strengthen. The lawn signs were a big success and resulted in growing numbers signing the petition, emailing and phoning in their support. We're up to 260+ names!!

Hi Ffilmic. What, other than density (which I'm sure is a big part of the deal, sure) fuels your objection to the project? It's respectful of the street, it's not going to impact on-street parking, it's to be tastefully landscaped with more tree canopy than current, it's a much better designed project than the apartments on the same street. I don't understand how this can be considered such a bad idea.

My mother's cousin and his family used to live on Dale. It seems most of the houses from their days have been renovated/rebuilt into monster homes. How does that match the HCD any more or less than the apartment buildings or this project?

Had a good chuckle at this tweet:

View attachment 91766

That photo does their cause some good. The plain and cheap looking apartment facade is the last thing I would imagine when I think of Rosedale. The neighbourhood needs to maintain its character and integrity or evolve in a direction consistent with its existing character.

Last edited:
Those apartments are an integral part of Rosedale's character though. When I think of rosedale I think of large estate homes mixed in with luxury, lowrise apartment blocks like proposed here. You are missing something if you think that Rosedale's character is exclusively single family homes. It's far from that.

Any update on where things are at with this development application? I think it looks great! Exactly the type of density this city needs. People often over-look how many of these walkup apartment-style buildings there are in Rosedale and how they really make the neighbourhood more diverse and interesting. 100% supportive of this.

Back