Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

Wow I haven’t seen something this dystopian since Bladerunner 2049. I think i see the rather dark appeal to this monster (especially now that we know it is a stale proposal) but the whole concept is terrible from a city building perspective. Did Safdi architects not learn from the failures of the past?

Wow I haven’t seen something this dystopian since Bladerunner 2049. I think i see the rather dark appeal to this monster (especially now that we know it is a stale proposal) but the whole concept is terrible from a city building perspective. Did Safdi architects not learn from the failures of the past?

It's really just a blown-up version of his Singapore Sky Habitat project. Safdie seems to be into sculptural arcology-ziggurat-type architecture these days. It wouldn't necessarily fit into the fine-grained village architecture of Yorkville, but it would be iconic from day one. I would imagine that urbanistically, the worst it could turn out is like the Manulife Centre.

sky-habitat-moshe-safdie-housing-singapore_dezeen_936_4.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de...chitects-singapore-housing/amp/?source=images

I liked both of the design competition entries posted, one would've been elegant, the other would be an icon.

I also like the actual proposal, sans sun beamer, and a better podium for the twin towers please.

I honestly think you could plop the Safdie proposal in Mississauga somewhere and it wouldn't look too bad. You could put it right next to Square One and it would sell out no problem haha.

The Safdie one is a ridiculous behemoth that would never get approved looking anything like that… but yes, I know that these were meant to beat out other firms for a commission, not be the final submission. Anyway, it's so far over the top, I'd love to see the shadow studies that it would have produced, just for a laugh.

100% bet it would have shaded everything except for Jesse Ketchum.

Back