Toronto Cumberland Square | 253.92m | 75s | KingSett Capital | Giannone Petricone

I’m imagining that Safdie proposal in this view
59332CB9-BBC4-45A7-BA71-9DAB55B0A6D9.jpeg

Attachments

• 59332CB9-BBC4-45A7-BA71-9DAB55B0A6D9.jpeg
    59332CB9-BBC4-45A7-BA71-9DAB55B0A6D9.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1,742
When you think about it, this project is actually almost 2 square blocks, since Bloor to Cumberland is mostly redeveloped too. Is like to see it happen all at once rather than in stages so as not to disrupt the neighbourhood for a decade.

Kingsett does not have the balls to develop this project.

They have the balls (EDIT: let's say guts instead of balls, please) and the cash but not the builder expertise (i.e. they are not a SPA, condo sales and construction company except for limited value adds here and there). My guess is they will try to rezone and flip the land. Always a dangerous undertaking when someone who is not a full-service developer tries to rezone a property without understanding all the ins and outs of construction, sales, etc. Then a true builder takes over, or is considering a purchase, and realizes that the rezoning locked in certain things that make the project extremely difficult to build or get site plan approved etc. It's a risky move. In my opinion the smarter move is to partner earlier with someone who has the full-cycle expertise, and get the benefit of that throughout rezoning. (And who knows, maybe they do have a future buyer in the wings giving good advice etc.).

Also more garbage copycat work from Giannone Petricone. I don't understand why people keep hiring this firm. These buildings are so blatantly a BIG ripoff above (see Telus Sky & Vancouver House), with HPA ripped off in the small podiums (see Kingly at King & Portland and 12 Ossington).

Look at this truly confused north elevation... wtf

1549302844363.png

Last edited:
Kingsett has rezoned several huge land parcels - creating a lot of value. Projects they have touched include 33 Yorkville, YSL, and others. They know what they are doing.

They do occasionally build too - 700 Bay is a partnership between them and Bentall Kennedy I believe.

Back