Toronto Cumberland at Yorkville Plaza | 124.96m | 40s | Camrost-Felcorp | WZMH

It feels like they're going for a 70s nostalgia. It reminds me a lot of odd duck buildings for some reason built in that era, like 555 Hastings in Vancouver. I have no idea why, but that's what it feels like to me.

Why did they choose to have the angled windows facing north directly onto the roof of the building next door? Why have not have that feature on the south side instead? It looks like a growth that needs to be removed.
They cannot get any closer to the street on the south side, but since the north side is all part of the same development, they can overhang there where this tower is taller than the Yorkville one as there's no more separation distance between the two to worry about.

It only looks like a growth that needs to be removed if you want everything symmetrical. No, it does not look natural as is, but that's the whole point of it: give the building something that makes it unique. Everyone gets to judge for themselves on the relative success of the gesture!

This building has been very slow despite very little to nothing architectural details

Back