Toronto CrystalBlu Condos | ?m | 36s | Bazis | Burka

wow. that looks pretty hideous to me. i find it ironic (or maybe fitting, given the history of this neighbourhood and the wackyness of this city?) that yorkville is getting some less than flattering architectural additions as of late.

3678001867_e558039b14_b.jpg

3678005125_236330f947_b.jpg

WOW thanks for the update greenleaf ~ my first reaction was "what on earth is that?" ... and then I looked at it more and thought "this could be interesting" ...

if the final product is done properly, the 'shattered glass pieces' could certainly add interest to the podium (which is just standard precast or limestone otherwise) and run with the 'crystal' theme in Crystal Blu

The limestone looks really, really good. But to my eyes, the triangles of glass scream tacky.

I think this could have been pulled off had the "crystals" been, say, back-lit vertical strips up the podium between the limestone.

I'm afraid it will simply look comical next to the demure Uptown. We'll see I suppose.

Interesting to say the least! We haven't (well, I haven't) seen anything like this in Toronto before.

It's too early to say but I think the end effect might be quite quirky yet really grow on me. :p

Waiting to see more. Too early to pass judgement except to say that I wish the granite wasn't chiselled around the 'crystals.'

Hm, no insulation or blueskin behind the stone? Seems a little dodgy.

Design wise I could almost see the random crystal thing working, depending how they light things and how the rest of the podium goes. I think I would have liked it more if it didn't have the mottled look around the edges of the stone tho

July 8th

Hm, no insulation or blueskin behind the stone? Seems a little dodgy.

Dodgy. I like that word, my buddy who visits from the UK every summer uses that word a lot :)

Anyway there's a note under the Uptown thread about Blu moving faster. Note that Uptown's base is easily twice as wide as Blu's and Uptown's base runs further back into the site towards Yonge than Blu. See photos below taken today illustrating the difference in depth, and width between the two bases.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

No

Actually, I think there is above ground parking. In this picture, you can see a definite slope in the floor plates.

I noted that some time ago too. I presumed there was no above ground parking based on information from their website, but who knows:

The Uptown Residences delivers unsurpassed elegance in the heart of Bloor-Yorkville. This classic 48-storey Art Deco-inspired tower offers impeccable suite designs and superb fitness amenities, all just steps from Toronto’s most fashionable shopping dining and entertainment. Exceptional available suites from 905 to 2,110 sq. ft.

• Exquisite atrium lobby with 24-hour Concierge service

FLOOR TO CEILING HEIGHTS

Municipal numbered Floors 3, 4 and 5
Floor to ceiling height 8 Feet
* Upper kitchen cabinet standard height

Municipal numbered Floors 7 to 42
Floor to ceiling height 9 Feet

Municipal numbered Floors 43 to 47
Floor to ceiling height 10 Feet

Municipal numbered Floor LPH and PH
Floor to ceiling height 11 Feet

Is there above ground parking in Uptown?

I'm pretty sure there's above grade parking in Uptown... its in the Condo Docs :)

like Crystal Blu ... there are units along the frontage facing Balmuto, but in the back of the podium floors is a parking garage

Interesting. Does it say how many levels there are? I guess they must have eliminated a few floors of suites then?

Back