News   Apr 16, 2024
 17     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 649     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 467     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

So let me get this straight. The people of Scarborough want the Scarborough line buried, the Eglinton line buried and the Sheppard line buried.

How about we tax only Scarborough to bury these lines?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...bury_scarborough_section_of_eglinton_lrt.html
Come on guys, lets get back to the crosstown. Looks like people in Scarborough want the eastern third buried.

I'm not saying whether they don't want it buried or do, but that article has no poll or statement about "people in Scarborough", other than Rob Ford saying "people in Scarborough want blah". So I don't think that's an accurate description of the contents of the article. The article states what Rob Ford's position is, not people in Scarborough generally.

I'm not saying whether they don't want it buried or do, but that article has no poll or statement about "people in Scarborough", other than Rob Ford saying "people in Scarborough want blah". So I don't think that's an accurate description of the contents of the article. The article states what Rob Ford's position is, not people in Scarborough generally.

It is smart of Ford to push the underground option - because he knows the people want it and on the issue of extra money, the talking point is; "what you you rather have for your money, cancelled gas plants or a subway".

If poeple of Scarborough were asked what they wanted, it would not be what Council and the Provincial Liberals are doing.

It is smart of Ford to push the underground option - because he knows the people want it and on the issue of extra money, the talking point is; "what you you rather have for your money, cancelled gas plants or a subway".
s
If poeple of Scarborough were asked what they wanted, it would not be what Council and the Provincial Liberals are doing.

Perhaps Ford wants to bury the eastern portion of the Crosstown because he wants to delay the project for another five or ten years by which time maybe Hudak's replacement will get elected and they'll be able to cancel the project altogether. That way Scarborough never gets it's transit.

It's like promising to buy your kid a new car for their sixteenth birthday and asking them if they want a Civic or a Corvette. If they answer Corvette you can say okay, but we can't afford it right now so you'll have to wait, and wait, and wait.

Genuine question here. Why isn’t the line buried in Scarborough? Why do Scarborough residents have to wait outside and share traffic lanes with the LRT while the inner burbs get the gold treatment?

Genuine question here. Why isn’t the line buried in Scarborough? Why do Scarborough residents have to wait outside and share traffic lanes with the LRT while the inner burbs get the gold treatment?

Width of the right of way. And no offense, why do Scarborough get 3 different proposed mass transit projects (with one that requires new taxation imposed on the entire city) while others gets zilch?

AoD

Which is Rob Ford on transit in a sentence. Propose underground subways where LRTs are scheduled and end-up with nothing. The fact that some people still don't see this amazes me.

Problem with that analysis is that it is not entirely true. There was an LRT planned to replace the Scarborough RT....he managed to get that replaced with a BD subway extension that more than doubled the cost.

So he has received the encouragement that if you bully for subways, and are patient in your bullying, then you eventually get what you want.

I thought Scarborough was the inner burbs. But why is the treatment different in Scarborough than in old Toronto? Stand on the overpass at Kennedy Station. See the big buildings in the distance? That means increased density. Can't see any sign of the buidings (three strip malls and a four story office building) of Eglinton and Kennedy from Yonge and Bloor. As for automobile drivers, they'd probably prefer the wide lanes of Eglinton, even shared with LRT, than trying to negotiate Bloor. Just different treatments.

That analysis ignored the fact that he only got what he wanted because of a) a minority provincial government and b) a federal government willing to play ball. I highly doubt that he can repeat the performance given a) no longer applies and b) will have trouble doing more than a one off (esp. since Flaherty is now out of the picture).

AoD

Because there's no real need to bury it, due to current and future density. Same reason the B-D line is largely at grade and the SRT is above grade. Burying stuff costs a lot of money.

Waiting outside ... sigh. Is this really such a hardship?

Traffic lanes won't be 'shared' with the LRT. LRT will be in its own lanes, other traffic will be in their own lanes, including lanes added at the edges.

That analysis ignored the fact that he only got what he wanted because of a) a minority provincial government and b) a federal government willing to play ball. I highly doubt that he can repeat the performance given a) no longer applies and b) will have trouble doing more than a one off (esp. since Flaherty is now out of the picture).

AoD

Perhaps....but the suggestion that he never gets it is wrong....not only is there one clear example where he did "win" with his patient-bullying....I can't think of one example where he has lost yet. There are others pending but where has there been a case where it is "final" that he did not get what he whined for? That, combined with the local desire of people to get the best and not be "2nd class", is what encourages him to continue.

Width of the right of way. And no offense, why do Scarborough get 3 different proposed mass transit projects (with one that requires new taxation imposed on the entire city) while others gets zilch?

AoD

Indeed. If Scarborough doesn't want mass transit projects, then there is South Etobicoke crying for WWLRT and they are being ignored.

Back