News   Apr 24, 2024
 935     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 613     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

no, the TTC can't afford that, don't delude yourself. the numbers I qouted are the total fleet planned by the TTC. They plan to scrap 234 buses between 2020 and 2022, period. Now that number can obviously change as it is still 6 years out, but still.

TTC crowding will not be getting any better any time soon. until council starts providing actual substantial funding, it will remain a crowded service.

Buses have a life expectancy of 10 to 15 years. Streetcars and subway trains have a life expectancy of over 30 years.

The city's route might be preferred, sure. But is it preferred some much that it's worth $2 billion dollars extra? Seeing that almost all trip generation is at STC, I would argue that it's not worth the extra cash.

If we really do need a subway to McCowan and Sheppard (all of a sudden, don't seem to recall any calls for a subway there in the past), the Murray alignment could still dip underground after Scarborough Centre station and head up McCowan.

I hate this. I wish we could revert back to the RT. Maybe Chow will do it. This money could build out the rest of eglinton, A Jane LRT and head start the DRL.

So happy about this. A new 20km transit line will be built across Toronto, our transit map will be getting much bigger, this will be a huge moment in Toronto transit history.

Every day that goes by, the TBMs dig further, contracts get awarded, and it becomes more and more difficult to cancel (although it seems impossible already). Thank god!
Man I have to commend you for being so positive.

The TTC artificially lengthens the lifespans of the buses. When a bus is beyond repair, they strip the bus of all its parts and reuse them for other buses.

As does every single other transit agency in North America.

Your point, exactly?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The TTC artificially lengthens the lifespans of the buses. When a bus is beyond repair, they strip the bus of all its parts and reuse them for other buses.

While true, TTC still targets 18 years. Anything beyond that is an unexpected bonus even with aggressive rebuilds.

With the emergence of 3D printing, streetcars and subway cars could last a lot longer with being able to custom print new parts on demand.

The money will disappear the second it's canceled again. It's not going to be moved to support other projects.

The federal money seems to be from a generic stimulus pool. Toronto earmarked its portion of the funds for the extension, but it could have been used for almost anything including basic sidewalk/road maintenance, Gardiner, Toronto Waterfront projects East Bayfront LRT), or even Toronto Community Housing repairs.

In effect, Ford did with this stimulus package what Miller tried to do with the 2008/2009 stimulus package.

If we really do need a subway to McCowan and Sheppard (all of a sudden, don't seem to recall any calls for a subway there in the past), the Murray alignment could still dip underground after Scarborough Centre station and head up McCowan.

I think it stems from a desire on the part of the planners (and some politicians) to actually make the SELRT useful. At least with a direct connection to the subway pretty much mid-line, it could boost ridership on that line by a fair amount.

Back