News   Mar 28, 2024
 25     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 138     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 239     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

The closure you get to 2024 and no opening announcement the average citizens psychological mindset will start aggressively questioning whether this will really open in 2023. The stance right now publicly at least is that it will open this year i.e. 2023. That is the understanding what most citizens have. They have accepted that it is basically April now and this line will open within the next 6 months or so.

Clearly this is not the case as already confirmed internally by various stakeholders and is common knowledge within them.
What/who are your sources? You seem to know what shareholders and metrolinx know.

What/who are your sources? You seem to know what shareholders and metrolinx know.
City staff, MTO, etc...

If everyone takes a step back we are in April in a few days. The earliest this project gets in the TTC's hands is August. TTC will require 4 months to do their dry runs and mobilization. That takes us to November. That is in a perfect world that everything goes right. City staff, MTO don't really have the confidence everything will go right and the earliest opening would be November/December if not more likely Q1 2024.

Does anyone feel like the math is off above?

20230324_124203.jpg

20230324_124208.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted before, but the escalator at Eglinton looks pretty much done, you can juuuust see the blue wall tiles at the bottom of the stairs

City staff, MTO, etc...

If everyone takes a step back we are in April in a few days. The earliest this project gets in the TTC's hands is August. TTC will require 4 months to do their dry runs and mobilization. That takes us to November. That is in a perfect world that everything goes right. City staff, MTO don't really have the confidence everything will go right and the earliest opening would be November/December if not more likely Q1 2024.

Does anyone feel like the math is off above?

Ish, but that's also dependent on the timing of the handover.

The TTC has traditionally operated any new rapid transit service for 2 board periods before opening it to paying passengers, with each board period being 6 weeks (and so, about 3 months). (There is a 2 week board period over Christmas, but we're not going to count that - and neither do they.)

If the line was handed over close to the end of a board period, then the TTC could in theory start their work right away and have it open closer to that 3 month number.

But if the line is handed over well into a board period, than yes, it would be closer to 4 months.

Dan

Yes, it is uniquely Japanese to have ads hanging from the ceiling, but my point was not to copy what Japan does rather that there's a big gap between the barely there advertising we have and the "whoa that's a bit extra" that they have. I mean more than half the space they have set aside for ads within the TTC are empty right now. It's the equivalent to walking down a street where half the stores are boarded up. It makes it look like Toronto is facing a zombie apocalypse or something, hence my husband's comment.
Was your husband comment from before the pandemic? From my memory it wasn't always like that. The situation's only deteriorated during and after the pandemic. It's noticeable when you see ads for events from months before still on display.

Why on earth do they need 4 months for setup? Have they not been doing testing for like the last year ?
Ish, but that's also dependent on the timing of the handover.

The TTC has traditionally operated any new rapid transit service for 2 board periods before opening it to paying passengers, with each board period being 6 weeks (and so, about 3 months). (There is a 2 week board period over Christmas, but we're not going to count that - and neither do they.)

If the line was handed over close to the end of a board period, then the TTC could in theory start their work right away and have it open closer to that 3 month number.

But if the line is handed over well into a board period, than yes, it would be closer to 4 months.

Dan

The likely scenario at this point is that the EGLRT will be transferred to TTC September 1, 2023. The earliest it opens is January 1, 2024. I am sure MX/MTO/TTC/Ford will do everything in their power to get EGLRT open by end of 2023. Let's see if they can pull it off.

Was your husband comment from before the pandemic? From my memory it wasn't always like that. The situation's only deteriorated during and after the pandemic. It's noticeable when you see ads for events from months before still on display.
To be fair, mostly since the pandemic, but now that everything is open again, it's even more obvious how little advertising there is. Restaurants & stores appear to be bouncing back, so why not ads within the TTC?

I think the Line 5 interchange stations are also supposed to be within separate fare-paid zones.
What do you mean by "separated"? Are they like island fare-paid zones where there are multiple areas that are fare-paid, but no way to go between them without exiting to the fare-unpaid zone?

Back