News   Mar 28, 2024
 73     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 164     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 243     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I'm not going to argue here for any removing any specific stop, that's a more involved conversation.......

But aside from the potential case for removing those stops w/no bus connections........

Wynford can easily connect to Don Mills/Eglinton so it not necessarily essential that it serve a Wynford stop just for the bus connection.

Likewise Laird has service in the form of the Leaside/Donlands bus, that route could easily connect at Bayview if so desired, since it doesn't run north of Eglinton.

I'm not necessarily arguing for removing either of these, merely point out that there are options, for connections at some stations that don't require as many stations as are being built.
The 56 Leaside bus service is going to end when the Crosstown opens. Instead, the 51 Leslie is going to operate to Donlands station.

I (selfishly) wish they'd keep the 56 and terminate it at Sunnybrook. I work there, and my current subway-bus-bus trip (2-56-11) will become subway-bus-lrt-bus (2-51-5-11). I'll have to look for the best route once line 5 opens.

The 56 Leaside bus service is going to end when the Crosstown opens. Instead, the 51 Leslie is going to operate to Donlands station.

I (selfishly) wish they'd keep the 56 and terminate it at Sunnybrook. I work there, and my current subway-bus-bus trip (2-56-11) will become subway-bus-lrt-bus (2-51-5-11). I'll have to look for the best route once line 5 opens.
Better yet, your proposed 56 Leaside re-routing should have the bus continue on Laird to Glenvale, then turn at Rumsey to serve both Toronto Rehab and Holland Bloorview, then along Kilgour to Bayview, where it goes into the Sunnybrook loop.

Currently, both Toronto Rehab and Holland Bloorview are over 500 metres from the nearest existing bus stop.

Reactions: PL1

wouldnt be surprised if the hospital starts operating shuttle service between a nearby accessible LRT station and the hospital at some point

I think I would argue for a single stop called Bathurst-Vaughan.

I would argue for a full platform for the entire block between those 2 streets, which, as can be seen in the photo below is ~107M

View attachment 418580

For reference, in the photo below, the standard platform length on St. Clair is ~35M before the landscaping kicks in and the platform narrows out; long enough for one Flexity.

Here, I would propose a platform that can hold 2 Flexities (3 in theory); but I would not set it up for that, with it made clear where the lead position is for loading/offloading. (set 15M in from the facing direction)

This choice is feasible; however, IF one keeps St. Clair at 2 travel lanes in each direction, for cars, it would require removing the lefthand turn lane from EB St. Clair to NB Bathurst.

I dislike this solution.

My preference would be to remove extra travel lane in this block, as I don't view it as necessary, the left-hand turn lane can then be retained; the surplus space can be used for any/all of wider sidewalks,
cycle tracks, cycle tracks with landscaped buffer, wider streetcar platforms with landscaped buffer.

I reviewed every streetview image for this block going back to 2007 to support my anecdotal opinion that the curb lane is surplus and I can confirm not one of them shows heavy traffic in this block.

There are parts of St. Clair where removing a travel lane might be more controversial, especially if that also meant removing parking; but in this block, I don't believe that applies.
I'll repeat my previous caveat here - it's been 8 years since I've lived there.

But at that time, the narrowing of the road would have been a non-starter. The traffic levels at rush hours required it, and the parking between those was always in use.

Dan

wouldnt be surprised if the hospital starts operating shuttle service between a nearby accessible LRT station and the hospital at some point
Sunnybrook has two shuttle buses: one to Women's College via Holland Orthopedic, and one to St John's via Finch. I believe they had the latter one do some runs to Lawrence Station during 2021 ish as the 124 Lawrence was unreliable. It has since stopped.

But I agree that would be useful!

Having ridden on street median running crosstown trams in Europe (and not always with functioning transit priority either!), I find this assertion to be dubious. The simple fact of not sharing lanes with traffic alone makes the ride significantly faster than it otherwise would be.
I think its worth considering that even Downtown Toronto is not Euro levels of ped, cycle, transit friendliness . . . . the suburbs are a different world and suggesting a 512 St. Clair style service was what they needed has always seemed questionable.

And why, exactly, is 1 km the gold standard? As I have mentioned on several occasions, having stops too far apart makes them inaccessible to those with mobility challenges. Hell, look at Sheppard East right now, they have to run a parallel branch of the 85 bus above the subway because the stops are so far apart!
Why is having different levels of service on one corridor (especially a major one) bad? Choice is good and the best transit systems provide lots of service choice. Wanting to not run a local bus sounds austere not the way to a better transit system.

Will it? The planned GO expansion is going introduce a measly five stations within the city of Toronto. Despite our marketing of it as a "RER", it is really going to be in no way comparable to the Paris RER, or the Berlin S-Bahn, or JR commuter rail. With the amount of new stations introduced it's more like it's more like a semi-frequent regional train like the RB/RE lines in Germany.
That is a pretty ungenerous assessment. We aren't build JR East by RE trains run like half hourly or hourly generally, and Toronto is 1) sprawly 2) a vacuum for options.

There are 25 stops on the Eglinton LRT. 22 of them will have connections to bus routes. How do we cut stops without missing these connections?
Not every route needs to connect at a station. What does the Cummer bus do right now?

September is coming fast. what was the estimate for training/handover? 3 months? no shot this opens before end of year
I'm pretty sure the target has been moved to substantial completion by the end of the year. Definitely not revenue service which would hopefully happen in Spring 2023. I hope your not dreaming to ride this thing this year cause the chance of that happening would be finding a job with ML or one of the contractors with the project 😉

I don't see any mention of September in the article. That hasn't been the target for some time.
Officially the handover to Metrolinx is still scheduled for September 21st. Nobody is expecting it to open then, with Metrolinx saying it will open later once testing is done, but Crosslinx is supposed to have the line ready for occupancy by then.

Which likely won't be happening.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is the place to pose this question again, but it is related so.. Even with a pushed back opening date to Spring 2023 for the ECT, the station and connection at Caledonia and the Barrie Go line doesn't seem as though it will be ready for service/use on day 1. Please correct me if I'm wrong

Hmmm... I'm not sure if this is the place to pose this question again, but it is related so.. Even with a pushed back opening date to Spring 2023 for the ECT, the station and connection at Caledonia and the Barrie Go line doesn't seem as though it will be ready for service/use on day 1. Please correct me if I'm wrong

As yet, construction of the GO station hasn’t even started.

It will lag behind the Crosstown opening by a couple of years.

- Paul

Back