News   Mar 28, 2024
 391     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

They're already working on the catenary system. I would expect the first trains through by the end of 2021.
I'd assume they can push them through now with an engine - so no more trucking them across the city.

I'd guess it would be the signalling that will seal the deal on whether this opens on time or not.

I'd assume they can push them through now with an engine - so no more trucking them across the city.

I'd guess it would be the signalling that will seal the deal on whether this opens on time or not.
The light rail vehicles will likely be able to power through the tunnels on their own once the catenary gets fully installed and powered up. They will likely go through slowly, while construction of the stations (tiling, escalators, elevators, etc.) continues, as most of the tunnel work would have been completed. It's the making the stations look pretty that will continue in 2022.

Doesn't Nov. 2022 leave quite a bit of time to finish all that stuff? Next fall seems like a reasonable goal to me.
It is going to be tough.

While the rails are now in place, they still need to go through and install the "catenary", signalling, switch machines, power systems and life safety systems......and that's just in the tunnels. A lot of stations still need their electrical, plumbing, lighting, surface finishes, elevating devices...... Several of stations are still undergoing structural work, which needs to finish before they can really start digging into the other tasks.

And while some of the various jobs that need to be done can be done concurrently - some of it can't. For instance, rail needed to be installed before they can install the catenary. Some of the signal system wiring can be installed ahead of time, but some of it has to be completed after the tracks are done. Same goes with the power line feeds - the rails and catenary need to be installed before their connections to the system can be made.

Then there is the certification process. The life safety systems need to be tested and signed off on. Same with the elevating devices. Electrical power, too. And in the case of life safety systems, those need to be signed off before they can start running any sort of simulated service through the system.

And if past history is any indication, the TTC is going to want to run the line for several months to try and shake everything out before actually opening it up to the public. The Sheppard Line ran for 6 months prior to opening in 2002. The TYSSE had trains running through it for 2 board periods - 3 months.

So, November 2022 is possible. But there is a LOT of stuff that needs to go perfectly right for that to happen.

Dan

EGLRT Open House for Mount Dennis to Avenue Station started today for a week.

Link to Open House (Basically a place to ask your questions) - https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/eclrtwestVOHfall2021
Link to PDF on update and status for the project from Mount Dennis to Avenue Station - https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/west_open_house_-_fall_2021_v8_1.pdf

Side Note - Seems as though the power point presentation is a bit dated because the tracks are now 100% complete and it states 98% complete so I guess they made it a couple weeks ago.

P.S. Eglinton to Kennedy Station Update will come out next Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.

Enjoy!

• 95% of overhead catenary system (OCS) installed
• OCS energized from Mount Dennis Station to Chaplin Station and from Laird Station to Ionview Road
• Tunnel lighting 91% complete, with work still ongoing between Avenue Station and Mount Pleasant Station

So they say they are almost done with the catenary too.

Also mentions trains are testing to Chaplin. Let's see how long till they can get them pass Eglinton.

EGLRT Open House for Mount Dennis to Avenue Station started today for a week.

Link to Open House (Basically a place to ask your questions) - https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/eclrtwestVOHfall2021
Link to PDF on update and status for the project from Mount Dennis to Avenue Station - https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/west_open_house_-_fall_2021_v8_1.pdf

For Cedarvale station progress to-date they note "Initiated train (LRV) testing", so clearly the full station construction doesn't need to be finished before trains can run through. The current state of Eglinton station may not be the deal breaker to a 2022 opening that some people think it is.

Last edited:
1636053695113.png

With vehicle testing between Mount Dennis Station and Chaplin underway, that means light rail vehicles are running through Cedarvale Station (Eglinton West Station), even though the surface structures at Cedarvale Station is not complete.

1636053974626.png

Last edited:
Mount Pleasant station and Eglinton are the furthest behind at this point. Mount Pleasant's secondary entrance is starting to get exterior finishes and the historic building main entrance has now just reached the surface so it will be a busy year ahead to finish the historic building rebuild but I fully expect it to complete in 2022. Eglinton station is currently the only station that I really question the ability to complete in 2022. It would be nice to stick a camera in the hole one the site of the old bus bays to see how close to the surface the concrete pours are. In some areas they have poured the station roof and they are pretty much done building the subway station box extension north of the intersection, but the main entrance on the bus bay site seems way behind.

It would be nice to stick a camera in the hole one the site of the old bus bays to see how close to the surface the concrete pours are. In some areas they have poured the station roof and they are pretty much done building the subway station box extension north of the intersection, but the main entrance on the bus bay site seems way behind.
One doesn't need a camera on a pole - you can see it from a bus as you roll past it. As of last weekend, they hadn't done any set up for any of the pours of the entrance building - it's still a dirt hole who's floor is almost at track level.

Elsewhere however on the site, they have poured a lot of the concrete and are getting close to capping the station.

Dan

Back