News   Mar 28, 2024
 61     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 217     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

I think Poison Ivy would work as a great barrier for ROWs, I may just suggest it to Metrolinx in one of their town halls. Not sure if they would go for it though, without paying millions to their consultants to follow along with it.

But then again, maybe I should apply to be one of their consultants. Decisions, decisions 🤔

I think Poison Ivy would work as a great barrier for ROWs, I may just suggest it to Metrolinx in one of their town halls. Not sure if they would go for it though, without paying millions to their consultants to follow along with it.

But then again, maybe I should apply to be one of their consultants. Decisions, decisions 🤔

poison ivy..?? thats weak... stinging nettles are the true deterrent!!

You’re overqualified. MX has low standards to maintain!

5000 residents in a location like that will only generate about 300 peak-hour trips in peak direction (based on Sheppard). The vast majority will be driving, travelling in other directions, travelling outside peak-hours, or not commuting regularly.

Also, you should be worrying about Yonge rather than Eglinton. Those who intend to use Eglinton LRT in peak direction and peak hour aren't going to be working at Yonge & Eglinton, they're making a transfer to downtown. Eglinton LRT usage will be naturally capped by passengers frustrated about Yonge line crowding; and as you mention the DRL will remove that passenger from both the peak-point of Yonge and Eglinton LRT.
Well, the Spadina Line has lots of capacity, I can see people just riding a few stops across, it won't take long and you'll likely have room.

Capacity will be an issue, the number of major bus routes interfacing with the line along is going to drive a ton of ridership . . .

Well, the Spadina Line has lots of capacity, I can see people just riding a few stops across, it won't take long and you'll likely have room.

Capacity will be an issue, the number of major bus routes interfacing with the line along is going to drive a ton of ridership . . .

If Eglinton LRT is at crush capacity, that's at least 15,000 pph per direction, or up to 30,000 pph arriving at a single station to transfer (only a tiny fraction will have destinations on Eglinton or transfer North). What's the current excess capacity of Spadina heading south? IIRC, pre-pandemic it was less than 5000pph in AM peak south of Bloor (Yellow rather than green on the customer congestion diagram).

It's my assertion that Eglinton will not run anywhere near built capacity because the fire chief would shut down the line due to severe crowding transfer stations long before Eglinton gets close.

Last edited:
Spadina line has lots of capacity. It only got filled up around St. Clair West and even then it would be busy only until Queen's Park with lots of turn over at St. George. This was pre-Covid. With the new normal, I don't think peak crowding will come back any time soon. Crowding only happens when there is a TTC incident causing line delays (passenger alarm, signal issues, etc.).

"It’s all part of Metrolinx’s goal to provide environmentally sustainable light rail transit service across Toronto"
sarcastic voice If that is the case, I wonder why Finch, Hurontario and Hamilton won't be getting green tracks...

"It’s all part of Metrolinx’s goal to provide environmentally sustainable light rail transit service across Toronto"
sarcastic voice If that is the case, I wonder why Finch, Hurontario and Hamilton won't be getting green tracks...
That is a good question. It sounds like the precedent has been set and Waterfront East LRT is expecting grass between the rails. Was the contracts or public reviews for Finch and Hurontario prior to the grass on Eglinton LRT being decided?

That is a good question. It sounds like the precedent has been set and Waterfront East LRT is expecting grass between the rails. Was the contracts or public reviews for Finch and Hurontario prior to the grass on Eglinton LRT being decided?
Nope, grass on Eglinton has been proposed for some time - at least since 2014. That's well before Finch/Hurontario contracts were signed.

I asked last year why no grass for Hurontario and was told by the builder, too much problems doing it. Will be asking again now Eglinton is seeing it. Gee!! they are from Europe where grass is used in the ROW there. The answer will be no.

The old saying is, the grass is greener on the other side of the road.

Time ML and all levels of government get on the bandwagon for pushing grass ROW as it meets the storm water runoff requirements as well environmentally friendly. It tell the car folks you cannot drive on the ROW or over it like St Clair and the Queens Quay.

Back